Copaxone 6 months Gained 25lbs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone 6 months Gained 25lbs...?

Okay.... has anyone else gained weight while on Copaxone? I had been doing Tysabri for 5 years and never fluctuated above 140-145 lbs... I am now at 171lbs... What the heck? Am I just eating more? Laughing~ Or is there something with this that no one warned me about?

I have lost weight but I don't think it has anything to do with the Copaxone. It simply reflects my diet/lifestyle changes. While it possibly can affect weight, eating more, whether you are on Copaxone or not, will cause weight gain. Are you eating more?

Comment

getting less exercise?

I haven't gained any weight on C, and I've been able to lose a bit.

Changes in diet tend to cause the most immediate changes in weight, but activity level (burning calories) has just as big an effect in the long run.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yes...

I have always had a great appetite and maintained the same weight forever... but this year I had two things happen. I relapsed after going off Tysabri and had to take steroids (prednisone) for over 2 months.. maybe more.. then I had surgery for removal of an adrenal gland and had to replace the lost cortisol by taking "steroids".. hydrocortisone for another 4 months. Just now tapering off of those. So the whole time I was on the "new" Copaxone I was also taking steroids and I am actually HOPING its the steroids and will lose this weight... but then I heard that Copaxone can cause weight gain and wanted to see if that has happened to people that "were not" taking steroids..

Comment

Wow, I lost weight on it I was so nauseated all the time. I hope you can figure out what is going on (and I hope the answer is simple and boring) because you're right, that is quite a change.

Comment

I just started copaxone 10 days ago and I've noticed what must be water weight gain since that fat gain would be impossible so quickly. Have you just started meds and are noticing this weight gain pretty rapidly ?
            When I called shared solutions they give u answer like "it's not likely but it def could be". I'm just hoping that its a temporary thing and as your body gets used to it it won't be a problem.

Comment

I've been doing it for 5 months and the weight gain started immediately. I even had surgery in between, lost 10 pounds and gained it back as soon as I was feeling better. But again, I'm also doing steroids too. Was really praying its that and not the Copaxone because I really haven't had any other side effects with it and even though I know I will eventually run out of places to shoot myself.. its been good to me so far. But I can also start Tecfidera now if I want too... so I figured if its the Copaxone, I'm going to switch... if its possibly the steroids, then maybe I'll wait. I just really don't feel like experimenting with another NEW drug right now, but man, I can't keep gaining this kind of weight either!! Holy crap... I'll be 200 pounds by Christmas at this rate!

Comment

Thank goodness, not me. I have been on Copaxone 8 years and no weight gain except during times when I'm eating more and exercising less.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

I would guess its due to the steroids. They bugger up everything, even for a few months after stopping them. They seem to increase appetite and make me hold water.

I've been on Copax for 6 years, I'm 5' 8" and 135 lb. The last time I was on steroids was Jan/09, approx 1.5 years after starting C. I literally have a "steroid wardrobe" for the weight gain, had to break it out for a few months... sometimes longer if I'm on an oral dose after IV.

If you can watch your weight during/immediately following steroids, it may help. Take advantage of the steroid energy burst, even if it's false, and do a few extra steps/sit ups/push ups. Also try to find foods that flush the water out, limit salt and anything that will make you hold water.

I hope it's not the COpaxone or I'm in BIIIIIG trouble! I eat healthy stuff but love, love, LOVE sweets of all kinds. I use "girl math" when it comes to food (for everything good I put in my belly, there's an equal amount of sweets). I'm not exaggerating... sometimes chocolate is a meal replacement!

Good luck, keep us posted.
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                    I've been on Copax for 6 years, I'm 5' 8" and 135 lb.
                    Dang, you are a skinny girl.

I had to laugh because there have been more than a few times when I have eaten desert before dinner to make sure I have room for the sweets.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

My money's on the steroids too as the culprit for the weight gain. I didn't start putting on weight until I had to start doing more steroids because I couldn't tolerate the DMD's I was on. Many years ago I knew somebody who put on 60 pounds from prednisone for rheumatoid arthritis before the good biological medicines for RA came out. When she switched to one of them and came off the prednisone the 60 pounds came off by themselves over the first year. So don't lose hope. That could happen for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                        I had to laugh because there have been more than a few times when I have eaten desert before dinner to make sure I have room for the sweets.
                        I KNEW there was something about you I liked!!
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                        X