Switching Copaxone time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Copaxone time

If i want to switch and take my copaxone in the morning hours instead of at night - how do i go about doing that?

Skip a day? Or just inject it in the morning instead of at night without waiting a full 24 hours?

Just do it in the morning, unless it's more than 12 hours since your last.
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I used to take Copaxone, yet I never thought about this question!

I usually took it in the morning, but sometimes I would forget. Then I would give the shot at night when I remembered it. The next morning I would take the shot as usual.

I never noticed any difference either way - one shot a day, mornings when I remembered, evenings if I forgot.

Comment

There was a study done a few years ago that showed that Copaxone every other day was as effective as every day. I don't see how you would get any extra benefit by starting your morning schedule with a shot only 12 hours later. But since that study showed that you won't do any harm by skipping a day you can save a shot by skipping a day and then starting the next morning. Waiting 36 hours also sort of saves you an injection site too. That doesn't sound bad.

Comment

Until my neuro advises me to do so I don't skip days. There are lots of studies with all kinds of advice. I follow the recommended dosage and take my scheduled shot each day.

I am not a doctor so I certainly would not advise you to skip a med or take it other than as directed.

When I changed from morning to night I did it over several days and just did it two hours later each day until I got to my current 9pm.

I
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by Jessi Marie View Post
            If i want to switch and take my copaxone in the morning hours instead of at night - how do i go about doing that?

Skip a day? Or just inject it in the morning instead of at night without waiting a full 24 hours?
            When I was on copaxone in 1999 I was told once a day shot about the same time, so to switch times I would speak to a copax nurse or your neuro.

Tasha RRMS 1995

Comment

Delaying a shot by 12 hours 1 time to go on a different injection schedule is very different than skipping days or going on a schedule of every other day. And I certainly never even suggested or implied that you should start regularly skipping shots. We're talking about Copaxone here, not something like insulin! Ande we're talking about once. This isn't life or death.

The Copaxne prescribing information doesn't even give a dosing schedule by how many hours. It just says "once a day". Of course it says to check with your doctor if you want to "change the dosing schedule" but it doesn't say anything about calling your doctor if you miss a shot for some reason.

I really can't believe that by "changing the dosing schedule" they are including delaying a shot 1 time by 12 hours. If the official prescribing information doesn't include calling your doctor to report that you skipped a shot and went an extra 24 hours without Copaxone due to a missed shot it doesn't make any sense that you are supposed to check with your doctor if you are going to delay once by only 12 hours.

Jessi it's only Copaxone. It the big scheme of things it probably doesn't make any difference what you decide to do. The stress of worrying about it is probably more harmful than taking shots 12 hours apart or 36 hours apart. One thing I've noticed over the years is the tendency of a lot of people with MS to stress themselves and other people out over little things that don't make much or any difference. If you have any faith in your own judgement i think you are probably OK to make a decision as "huge" as this one on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
                But since that study showed that you won't do any harm by skipping a day you can save a shot by skipping a day and then starting the next morning.
                ...and since the every-other-day C that's about to come out has twice as much DMD per shot, it should be totally safe to take two shots in less than 12 hours.

Maybe flip a coin?
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Why not call the Experts

at Shared Solutions?

Comment

There's an every other day C that is about to come out???? Sign me up! I'm having good results with Copaxone but I really hate taking my shot every day. It would be great to have a day in between. And my sites would appreciate it as well.

I just decided to switch my times too. I used to do it in the evening but now that it's football season, it's annoying for me to have to make time for it. I talked to a Shared Solutions nurse and she said the same thing as the others have advised - just make sure it's at least 12 hours after your last shot. When I make the switch, I will take my last evening shot early, like 5:30pm so I can take my morning one the next day at around 7:00.

Good luck!

Comment

One day, no biggie!

Originally posted by Jessi Marie View Post
                      Skip the day or if you just don't feel right about doing that, just make sure the injection is 12 hours after the previous one.

So say if you inject at 9:00 p.m., just wait till 12 hours later or even 13. The next day you can do it an hour earlier and on subsequent days till you get to the desired time.

A day however won't make a difference. Almost everyone on C has missed a day (even more!).

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                      X