depth setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depth setting

How should the autoinject be set if you are about 95 lbs with just a little fat on the legs, but more on the hips? I've always struggled with getting this right.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Shared Solutions has recommendations, I don't remember what they are. But the more fat in an area the deeper the needle should go so I think the higher the number on the autojector. Since you're thin you won't want to inject very deep, so you'll probably be a low number.

Too deep and you may inject into a muscle and you're muscle may be sore for a few days afterwards (like tetanus shots). When I've injected too shallow I would get a bigger welt and it burned more since the Copaxone was just under the skin.

The trick is to find the sweet spot in the middle, not in the muscle and not too close to the skin. So play around with it and you might need to change the setting for different areas. I've got some extra fat just about everywhere (thanks kids!) but I always aim for the fattest spots I can find in the general area on my picture from SS.

I'm not sure if this would work and I'm nearly positive no medical professional would recommend it. But if you usually manually inject, after you do your next injection put the used needle in the autoinjector and set the depth to what you think will work. This way you can see how much of the needle comes out of the bottom. Compare this to how much of the needle you stick into your skin and adjust the depth accordingly.

*You should be able to do this just using the bottom part of the autoinjector so don't put it together and make sure you have the red cap OFF. Hope this helps!!
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I change the depth depending on the spot. I've got 40lbs on you so this is just for example, but on my uppper thighs I use a 7 dept, the lowest spot of my thighs, I use a 5. My upper arm is very fatty so I can use an 8 and on a few spots of my stomach I use an 8. Average is 6 though but it has taken a while to figure it all out.

Comment

Needle depth

I have been on copaxone just after my Dx in August. Since then I have Lost over 30 pounds and needed to adjust the depth. Especially under my arms. That place hurts the most, but has gotten better since I have shortened the needle depth.

Good Luck!
        Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL1677 View Post
          I have been on copaxone just after my Dx in August. Since then I have Lost over 30 pounds and needed to adjust the depth. Especially under my arms. That place hurts the most, but has gotten better since I have shortened the needle depth.

Good Luck!

I've never been able to use my arms... never! And I used to use my tummy until 4 years ago when I had some intestinal surgery. Can't seem to use it there anymore.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
          X