Pregnacy and Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnacy and Copaxone

I have had MS for 9 years and I am 31 years old. I want to start a family. I am on the Depo shot and it may take up to 2 years to get pregnant. Is it ok for me to continue my copaxone until I become pregnant. Without it, I get relapses every 3 months. I have talked with my neurologist and it is kind of my choice. Not sure what to do.

I would talk to your GYN.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I have. Still my choice. And I don't know what the best thing to do is.

Comment

I had my son last April and had been on Copaxone for about 6 months before I became pregnant. I didn't actually stop my shots until the home pregnancy test was positive. This is risky because doctors usually want you off the MS drugs for 3 months maybe more depending on the drug.

Ask your neuro what the risks are if you stay on the medication until you become pregnant. If your doctors say it's your choice, then it's your decision to make. Chances are everything will be fine but would you want to be the doctor that gets sued because you told your patient she would be okay because the risk was so small and, low and behold, that patient wasn't so lucky? The doctors are in a bad spot. They can't tell you it is perfectly safe but if it's reasonably safe then go for it. You can trust that your doctors would have warned you of any negative effects the drug may have on conception.

Personally, I think you're fine. Just to be safe, ask what could go wrong so you know what chances you are taking. If you do decide to stay on copaxone while trying to conceive then I would do frequent home pregnancy tests just to be sure.

Best of luck!!
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Working...
        X