Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPMS & starting Copaxone...good/bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPMS & starting Copaxone...good/bad idea?

Hi, I'll try to keep this brief as I can.

I have SPMS (started in 1998, diagnosed 2006). I have not been on any disease modifying drugs at all. I take baclofen for spasticity, and Advil for pain. I have had at least four IV steroids (solumedrol) over the past three years, but they're not as effective as they were the first time that I had them.

I started to get really bad in the last six months, but my neurologist thought it was best to hold off having steroids. He finally decided to give me an MRI, but it failed to show any new activity. Despite that, he allowed me to have IVSM. After three days of infusions, I was feeling a little bit stronger. However, I had that banding/tightness feeling in my chest/torso that was so severe that I called my doctor to ask for some kind of pain relief. Instead, (after looking at my chart), he decided to start me on a combination of Copaxone and Acthar.
    BTW, I took Acthar in the past, and it did not work whatsoever for me.

My question...is should I continue with Copaxone, even though I'm in a wheelchair and can barely stand long enough to brush my teeth? It has been that way for quite some time now (at least a year). I feel that it's useless to keep injecting myself, and that it's too late to start any of the DM's since I've progressed too much for them to be helpful.

The thought of injecting myself for another 28 days plus injections of Acthar REALLY has me concerned.

If you can offer any advice, I would TRULY appreciate it. Thank you kindly, Donnie.

While there's probably no harm in taking Copaxone, I'm not aware of any evidence that it is effective for SPMS (only RRMS).
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
      I'm not aware of any evidence that it is effective for SPMS (only RRMS).
      Yes, this is what I was told also. When it was determined that I was SP, I asked my neuro if I could stop taking Copaxone (after 5 years) and she said yes.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for the input. I had a horrible day today (about seven hours after my injection). I was almost completely incapacitated, so I've decided to quit Copaxone.

Comment

Working...
        X