Need a break..can I cycle it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a break..can I cycle it?

Im coming up on my 1 year anniversary of taking copaxone.

I have had no MS issues except for the last couple months. I thought it was my MS but im thinking its my copaxone.

Some side effects I found that came with copaxone I have.

Weakness
    General pain, neck pain, or back pain
    Joint pain
    Muscle tightness
    Bruising
    A spinning sensation (vertigo)
    headaches.

These are the issues im having and I thought it was my MS but im thinking its copaxone.

Do you think I could take a break from it for a month or so? I know everyone is difrrent but if it is the copaxone I want to be able to tell my DR.

While not impossible, it isn't typical for medication side effects to develop 10 months later. Side effects most commonly develop within the first few weeks.

It's true that often the only way to tell whether a sign or symptom is a medication side effect is to discontinue the drug (safely). However, running your own experiment and telling your doctor about your symptoms a month from now might not be the wisest approach.

Your neuro may want to run some tests now, while you're having symptoms, that might help to determine whether what you're experiencing is drug side effects or MS or something else. For example, your doctor might want to order blood tests to evaluate the bruising or perhaps even a new MRI (timely anyway since you're coming up to the 1-year anniversary of Copaxone) to evaluate the vertigo, headaches and weakness. Waiting a month could mean missing a diagnostic opportunity.

A better approach is to call your neuro now, report what you've been feeling for the last couple of months, and relay your concerns. Then your doc can advise you of the best course of action before you take a break from Copaxone. Of course you can take a break if you want to, but your doctor can advise you about whether that would be necessary.

Comment

Why do you blame the Copaxone? It sounds like those sx came on long after you started C...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Mainly because I just got a MRI and my dr said my MS has improved even though I feel worse

Comment

Unlikely to be the drug, although it is a possibility

You never know. Besides even if they can't see it on MRI doesn't mean it is not there. They can't detect everything with MRI even if it is a 3T machine.

I've been feeling pretty crappy on Copax too and not right away, but a few months into it. It is possible it is Copaxone. They still don't know so much about it.

Comment

I had the same thing. MRI stable on C but am feeling worse.

Guess what I had an undelying infection that was causing my issues. Not the C.

Maybe you should see your family dr.

Comment

Im on copaxone too

I started having headaches way before C and had an MRI to find I have lesions in the brain when I had none just 6 months previous. Headaches are very common with brain lesions.. so don't be so quick to blame C.. I do agree that I have joint pain which is a common complaint for C and not MS.
              limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Working...
              X