Copaxone vs. Aubagio (teriflunomide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone vs. Aubagio (teriflunomide)

I had my followup appt today, after my first MS episode last month. My doctors want to start on meds based on the MRI's and the amount of lesions.

Since I am brand new to the MS world I have a big decision to make, she gave me 3 choices....

Avonex, Copaxone or Aubagio....

I am very worried about the injections even though I see plenty of people say it's no biggie...

Avonex seems to have a history but side effects, so I am ruling that one out, for now....

I know that the pill version is just...so new...

How did some of you decide what to choose?

pros and cons list? or just clinical results?

I don't want to be a total chicken but the pill seems so much easier...and way less scary.

I will have another MRI in 6 months and liver panel checks, am I taking too much of a risk if I choose the pill?

Lots of questions, but any advice would be great....thanks
    ~nagem

Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind don't matter.

Funny you posted this. I just saw my Neuro last Friday and asked him about the newly released pill. I am currently on Copaxone (7 yrs) and really appreciate how good I feel (no side effects). Anyway, my doc told me that he would prefer to wait and see how this pill actually does before putting me on it. I was concerned about stomach upsets, etc. He said those would be the "mild" side effects. The liver involvement and the necessary bloodwork that goes with many of the other therapies were more of a concern to him. Copaxone is tried and true and works very well for many people. I like a good track record for ANY drug I take. I will keep taking my Copaxone and will continue to be grateful for it's lack of side effects. When the pills have proven themselves or if Copaxone ever stops working for me only then will I make a switch. Good luck with whatever you decide and keep a positive attitude! It'll serve you well

Comment

Hi All

I can say I have actually used both meds. I have been on Copaxone for over 14 years & it has worked well for me.

About 4 years ago, I was in a study combining Copaxone & Teriflunomide. The Teriflunomide dose was either a placebo, 7mg or 14 mg dose. The study went for a year & a half. The neuro & myself came to the conclusion that is was on Teriflunomide but didn't know the dose.

I can say in my expereince, I had heart burn for 16 straight days when I started taking the Teriflunomide pill. After that I had no issues.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

thank you

Thank you both for posting, I have been thinking and processing what to do for days. I wish the pill was out longer and I would not be questioning things.

I figure I have to buck up and try the Copaxone and go from there. If the pill is so great in 5 years maybe I can switch.

I feel silly since I think I am more scared of the daily injections than the actual disease.

Wish me luck
        ~nagem

Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind don't matter.

Comment

When I was first diagnosed in 9/2005, my doctor told me what therapies were available and said to research them myself and decide. I decided on Copaxone simply because of it's lack of side effects. So far, so good. I was nervous about daily injections too. I started taking it using the auto injector and before too long I found that self injecting was more comfortable for me. Now, it's just part of my daily routine and I look at each shot with the hope that it is keeping my MS in check and gratitude that I am not sidelined with any side effects.

Comment

Something to keep in mind with Aubagio, is that teriflunomide has been being used to treat RA. To me, that is great news because it means the drug has been in use with patients for awhile (not just some research studies) and if there were major side effects we would already be hearing about them.

I am currently on Gilenya, but I'm going to be looking at switching to Aubagio because it is not an immunosuppressant like Gilenya. I have other AI disorders and I would feel more comfortable not being on an immunosuppressant. I've tried a few of the injectables and had horrible site reactions.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for 10 months and can honestly say I've had almost zero side effects. I shuffled how/when/under what circumstances I did my shots to make them the most comfortable and now it's easy and actually pretty painless.

I considered switching to Aubagio just because it would be easier to pop a pill. I balked when the neuro told me about the side effects like hair thinning and the real potential for liver damage. The hair thing may sound silly but I am still a woman under all these lesions

Comment

The hair thinning issue is a temporary one. It will thin somewhat for 3-6 months and then get back to normal. It is not permanent.

With regards to the liver -- there are so many treatments/meds that affect the liver that I don't factor that in as a huge consideration for myself. It is why so many meds require regular bloodwork for LFTs. If there is a problem with the numbers, they will take me off of the med.

If you have had good luck with the Copaxone, though, there is no reason to switch. I had problems with daily functions like walking and carrying things while doing the Copax injections -- the site reactions were way worse than "normal" according to my doc. I wish I didn't have the site reactions on it because I had no other side effects while taking it.

Comment

Working...
                X