chest tightness symptom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chest tightness symptom

Hi, I've been on Copaxone for about 5 months, Last night I had the reaction we all dread and for good reason. a few minutes after doing my injection, I got a chest tightness, it literally felt like someone had their knee on the middle of my chest. I told my spouse right away and it is so lucky for me he was here, I would hate to go through that alone. When I tried to get comfortable on the couch I started to get a sore lower back. Then I got back spasms, the chest pain alleviated about 25% and I continued to have back spasms (never had them before in my life but know what they are now just from having them) Then menstral like cramps started ( I also was due to have this start lucky me) I phoned shared solutions but unfortunately it was after hours and just could leave a message which I did not.

we got my shoes on and then I had an urge to go to the bathroom, I also had diahrea Having fun yet?
    The pain in my chest was all but gone but now I was hot and could be trying to make myself vomit (stomach was sick) and also having diahrea, I literally had to take all of my clothes off. My spouse opened the back door to let some cool air in and my cramps were severe. (not unusual from past menstral cramps) He made me a concotion of crushed pain medication to help it absorb faster. Then the chills started. I felt so drained by this time it was crazy. ( I just finished working an 8 hour day and had been up since 4 am. too) So my spouse made me a hot scalding bath which was amazing!! I started after about 10-15 minutes feeling a bit better but cramps still severe.

I got out got dressed and laid on the couch with several blankets on.
    Today, I am ok. I am really afraid to do my injection though. I need to hear from somebody that this is not a common occurance, I can't help but feel afraid that it will happen again. I have decided to wait half a day more in between injections I am hoping this will help?

My spouse saw something saying someone had a month straight of these reactions. How can you deal with it.
    I think maybe my reaction was more severe because of the many factors involved, being tired, having a cold, menstration.
    Thanks for listening hope to hear some insights!!!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

OMG!!

your reactions sound more severe than tolerable 'side effects'..I am not familiar with Copaxone, but the Beta 'kicked my butt' when I first started.

I suggest you speak to your Dr before proceeding...I'm sure you'll get replies from someone here that takes Copaxone...

Bless your husband for maintaining a calming tone and atmosphere but check with your Doctor..

Take care darius_kaspar
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hi! Don't know if you remember me, but I remember you!!

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time here and I don't have any suggestions other than take a break from the shots and call your neuro first thing Monday morning! It could be as simple as coming down with the flu bug or a drug reaction from Copaxone. Regardless, call!

Take care and feel better!! Sounds like your husband is a great support person for you
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks! Seasha I do of course remember...

... How are things? I sent emails but they got
        Returned nice to hear from you again!
        I was debating doing my injection today
        Mid-morn was supposed to last night and be
        Prepared to go to hospital don't know yet
        I contacted my shared solutions nurse but its
        Weekend so have not heard back
        My spouse is very supportive!

Comment

darius_kaspar,

Wow, your reaction was very severe.
          I wouldn't take another injection until notifying your Dr.

I've experienced Initial Post Injection Reactions that were bad, but not like what you describe.
          And I too was very timid about injecting the next day.
          They were nothing compared to your reaction.
          So sorry that happened.

IPIRs are supposed to be very, very rare, so let your hubby know that.
          Glad he is being so supportive and helpful, too.
          Thanking our loved ones for their support is important and so wonderful.

MS affects all family members.
          MS is the reason I haven't served a hot meal out of the oven for years and my DH understands and doesn't complain.
          It's no fun for any of us for certain, but making the best out of the situation helps.

Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Finally today will be able to call for help

Hi
            I've stopped doing my injections, now that its
            Monday will contact neuro also hoping to hear
            Back from my shared solutions nurse.

At least today if I do my needle my spouse will
            Be here.

Comment

bad reaction to Copaxone - chest tightness

Hi, responding to darius. I also had a very serious reaction to Copaxone tonight. I've had 5 serious injection reactions in the last year, and although that doesn't sound like a lot, the severe stuff has gotten worse over time. I have been on Copaxone religiously for over 5 years. Other than a bit of nausea and over heating at night, I believe in this drug.

Problem is I have lost a lot of my fat under the skin, which means I have hit blood a few times. Each time, I get a severe enough reaction that the nurses at Copaxone believe I should be in the ER. Tonight was no exception. I had just eaten a little bit of my dinner when I remembered to take my shot in my right arm. I barely pricked myself, and immediately experienced flushing, then severe itching, then shortness of breath. It took me 15 minutes to find my phone to call Shared Solutions (I live alone.) By the time the nurse came on (not even a minute), she proceeded to hear me on speaker vomiting for about 30 minutes, then I had to reverse ends and was on the toilet for another 20 minutes with a trash can in my hand. I broke out in a cold sweat, and cleaned myself up the best I could before actually speaking with the nurse.

I got myself into bed because I needed to be under a electric blanket - that's when the involuntary shakes started plus heart palpitations. The shakes (feels like you are going into shock, but it's not shock) lasted about a hour after that. Uncontrollable shivering that makes my teeth chatter and my words stutter. The nurse tonight suggested that I go to ER. I passed on that. They can't do anything but give you something for the nausea and vomiting, an NSAID or Tylenol for the severe arthric pain that starts after the shivering subsides, and give you warm blankets.

I know this, because I was in the ER three weeks ago with the same shot reaction (minus the vomiting and diarrhea). The Shared Solutions nurse spoke directly with the ER doctor on my cell phone on speaker. The doctor was told that none of these symptoms were life-threatening, but 16 percent of the patients on Copaxone experience this "phenomenon." It usually only lasts for about 15 minutes. It my case, it's 2-3 hours.

I still believe that Copaxone is the best drug out there for MS. In my case, hitting anywhere near a blood vessel, no matter how small seems to set this chain reaction off in me. I'm very sesitive to drugs, and I chose Copaxone because it has the least side effects. I called and spoke to the neurologist on call and was told I'd probably have to either do work arounds or chose another drug. I hate like crazy to do that, because again, I believe in Copaxone.

I usually don't eat before an injection, so that could account for the gastrointestinal problems. I always inject on an empty stomach and then eat. I was told not to inject again until I speak with my doctor about the severe reaction. They always tell me that. Don't give up on Copaxone yet, but take the advice of someone who was on the phone with both a Shared Solutions nurse and a neurologist tonight. Talk with your neurologist, be frank and give as many details about what you experienced, before you do another injection. I still feel crappy, and I took my injection at 7PM.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
              X