Shattered needle!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shattered needle!?

So...I've been doing Copaxone since May, and besides yucky site reactions, things have been going well...until last night.

I was going to use the auto injector in my hip (buttocks), and because I can't really reach back there, I got my husband to help me. I loaded the needle and everything was all fine, until he pushed the button. It sounded...different. When he took the auto injector apart, the needle fell out in pieces. The glass totally broke in there!!

Kind of freaks me out. Has this happened to any of you? Do I need to call shared solutions? It's not that the auto injector is old or anything...I got it brand new when I started in May. Weird.

It does sound weird!

Sara

Comment

Yes, I would call shared solutions, they will send you a new one ASAP. They might request the old one back to see what's wrong with it for future issues, if any. Was the sping mechanism maybe too powerful for the glass syringes? I have manually injected for almost 5 years. Be careful, you're luck you didn't cut yourself, I've dropped a couple and they break into a million pieces. Good luck!
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm going to call shared solutions on monday. I don't think the auto injector is too powerful...maybe just a faulty needle? I've been on Copaxone since May, and I switch between manual and auto inject, depending on the site. I've never ever had this issue before. Very strange. I'd like to somehow blame my husband.....since he's the one that actually pushed the button...LOL. Jk

Comment

Oh -- and unfortunately for me...I already threw the needle into the hazard box thingy (what's it called?) so I can't even send it back to them!

Comment

Hi Kara

Sorry you had that happen with your injection. I would think Shared Solutions will also replace the broken syringe..They rarely ask for the syringes back but they will ask for the lot # of the Copaxone batch that syringe came from.

Tale Care, Bob

Comment

I had the very same thing happen! It was due to the tiny rubber-ring coming off/missing from the inside of the auto-injector...so when the plunger comes down in the full syringe, it comes down with too much force and crushes the syringe.

It's scary as it's unexpected: I had it happen when I was injecting my stomach and glass went everywhere/the needle was pushed really hard into my tummy (which freaked me out).

No harm was done, I called Shared Solutions and they sent me an envelope to mail back the faulty injector, and over-nighted me a new unit.
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

So, I gave Shared Solutions a call and my nurse basically freaked out (she's so funny) and said that she would send me a new auto injector RIGHT away, and that I wasn't to use the one I have anymore. So I guess I have to manually inject until it gets here. Bummer. Oh well!

Comment

Hi Kara

I am glad you are getting a new autoject. I would call back & ask for a second autoject as a backup. They will be happy to do that.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Oh - good idea, thanks!
                    I never thought of that.

I'm not very good with doing manual injections...my hands are a little shaky. So I'm REALLY looking forward to the new auto injector...

Comment

Kara, I never thought that I could manually inject until my neuro had me rebuild injections a week at a time to see if I was having a reaction from Copaxone. I had to inject 1/4 of a needle for a week, then 1/2, and so on and to do so I had to manually inject. That said, I never went back to the auto inject!! It was just as everyone said...so much better site reactions with manually injecting.

Since you dont have the auto inject, you'll have to let us know if you convert too! :-)

MGM

Comment

Working...
                      X