copaxone reaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copaxone reaction?

I have had MS for years and years but only since May have I been on Copaxone. Now my hands, feet, lower legs, ankles are swollen and tender. They are hot to the touch too. I am almost totally disabled from this swelling. I assumed it was a bad flare-up but maybe it is the Copaxone. I am allergic to Dilantin and Tegretol to the point one dose will put me near death. I have been hospitalized twice for having a dose (given for a problem when I went to the ER no less). Anyway, having a tendency to react so strongly to a med I am allergic to makes me wonder if I am having a bad reaction to Copaxone. Just wondering if ANYONE out there has had a reaction like this. Thanks.

If you're allergic to other meds and even think you may be allergic to C, I would go to the hospital.

You've been on it since May but it may take a build up of the med for the allergy to surface. This happened to me with aspirin. I was rx Naproxin and after apprx 1 week I went into a full out anaphylactic reaction.

It could be anything, my DH got something called Cellulitis (an infection of the skin cells) and it looked like what you are describing. Please get this checked, it isn't always MS although sometimes it's easy to blame for all that goes wrong.

Pls let us know how you are doing.
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
      If you're allergic to other meds and even think you may be allergic to C, I would go to the hospital.

You've been on it since May but it may take a build up of the med for the allergy to surface. This happened to me with aspirin. I was rx Naproxin and after apprx 1 week I went into a full out anaphylactic reaction.

It could be anything, my DH got something called Cellulitis (an infection of the skin cells) and it looked like what you are describing. Please get this checked, it isn't always MS although sometimes it's easy to blame for all that goes wrong.

Pls let us know how you are doing.
      Jen
      Excellent advice. Hopefully there is an easy answer and fix.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

update to reaction

I ended up back in the ER from such a bad reaction I almost died. Thank God I had a great doctor and nurse to help me. I am so much better now. Does anyone know how much time it takes for the Copaxone to leave your system?

Thanks for the well wishes. I remembered them as I layed in the ER and was so sick. Your comments and encouragements really help.

Comment

copaxone or flare up---update and question

i talked to a pharmacist at Teva Pharm and he felt if I had had a Copaxone allergic reaction it would have been within about 3 to 5 days of starting Copaxone since it is a subcutaneous injectable.

Since my symptoms took 3 months he told me that my swelling was most likely due to a flare-up. The ER doctor also felt it was all from a flare-up and not the Copaxone.

I am still switching to Avonex on Monday, but at least I am no longer guessing what the source of the swelling is from. The edema may not be a common flare-up for others, I suppose for me it is how my body is handling the MS.

I am hoping the Avonex will help keep the flare-ups to a minimum and just keep my eye on the swelling.

By any chance does anyone else have a lot of problems with swelling in the feet/legs/hands/face...?

Comment

Copaxone reaction

This happened to me -twice. The first time I didn't know what was happening so my husband called 911 and they brought me to the hospital. Good news is that it did pass. That was 2 years ago and everything fine since then.
            Littlemissy

Comment

Working...
            X