Took my first dose of Copax today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my first dose of Copax today..

I got my scrip yesterday finally and the nurse came out to day with a bunch of goodies in a bag and I took my first dose today.

I asked her about the email I got from Rebif and if it was as good as Rebif claims and she told me that Rebif and Avonex paid big money for a side by side comparison and they still couldn't come out better than Copaxone!

She said Copax has practically no side effect in comparison to the others, was as good as you can get, and I already had it as good as I need.

In my first inject I was amazed that they came in glass syringes ( I have never seen anything but plastic ones before other than glass in the '50s movies), and I like the "needle clipper" they send out with it all.

Do any seasoned Copax users have any agreements or disagreement with what she told me or anything to add to a Noob?
    DX: RRMS July 17, 2012
    Started Copaxone 8/23/2012

i haven't had many problems with C...except for remembering my shot! no real side effects to speak of. some site redness and swelling right after the shot and an occasional knot in my arm the next day.
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

I did 2 years of betaseron and now I've been on copax for 6 months so I can offer some comparison.

The betaseron gave me the flu-like crud for about a year and I HATED it but then it subsided and the second year was easy!

The copaxone stings really badly for me about 15 seconds after injection. Its annoying to do it every day and I have welts. I'm a girl and it did mess up my menstrual cycle and I had some hair loss at the beginning. I think that's all back to normal now.

The half hour after my shot where its burning I'd probably tell you that I hate copaxone. I'm usually pretty optimistic about my MS but when the shot stings so bad it gets me a bit down and that's usually when I tell my husband irrational things about hating my life and how MS is ruining everything. Then it stops burning, I eat some chocolate ice cream and my bitter hatred towards copaxone and MS usually goes away

Its working for me and that's what's important! I had 4 months of relapses and feeling terrible that prompted my neuro to change me to copaxone. So far, so good and that keeps my resolve!

I learned I like manual injection. The loud click of the autoinjector and the anticipation make me too tense. I'm not afraid of needles so its just a smoother ordeal to manually inject.

All my injection sites are different. I like to ice my arms afterwards but no where else. Its just some trial and error!

good luck! Keep your eye on the prize - this medicine does help people, fingers crossed it'll be good for you!
      Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

I dont have allergies to anything even poison ivy. I hope I dont develop any.
        I felt the intial stinging for the first few minutes but thats it so far..

Comment

Thank you for all of the feedback, I am still doing well on it. My neuro suggested I inject it every other day the first week and then daily from the 2nd week on. I am still doing well on it and will stick with it all the way.

Comment

I "picked" Copaxone for two reasons. 1) the side effect issue - I have been on Copaxone for 7 years and have only had site reactions
            2) by giving the shot every day it becomes a part of the routine - like brushing your teeth or, in my case, putting on clean underwear. I have only forgotten about 3 shots in 7 years and it was when I wasn't at home so didn't have my normal shower routine.

Hope your experience is a positive one.

Comment

This is going to sound odd, I learned it here and it really works. I've been on Copax for 5 years.

When the needle comes out, press firmly on that bump that forms, don't rub! Press for approx 30 seconds, then ice, then Benadryl cream.

Hope things go well.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi there Winded_tolerance

I too am on Copaxone not sure if you are manual injecting like many others I've learned thru this website its much better on the site reactions.

Shared Solutions has syringe grips that are very helpful if you are going manual injections.

They also have a travel case not sure what they supply you with now days just have to ask SS for these helpful items.

Good luck with your treatment

Comment

My nurse gave me a list of suggested items to ask for, including the travel kit and finger attachment for the syringe, hot/cold compresses, lock box and more. So far Sh Sol has been really good..

Comment

Newby to Copax

I will be new as well...I've been on Avonex for a year.....I have awfuk side effects so I'm hoping once I start the Copax that part won't won't be as bad. I hope.....

Comment

So far that I have noticed... I have no side effects as well, and it seems to be doing good so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X