Dietary Changes Can Help Ease Fatigue, Improve Quality of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dietary Changes Can Help Ease Fatigue, Improve Quality of Life

Dietary interventions may help ease fatigue and improve quality of life in people with multiple sclerosis (MS), although it doesn’t seem to impact disability progression, according to a new analysis.

Researchers emphasized that it’s difficult to draw solid conclusions about the impact of diet in MS because there haven’t been many well-controlled studies, underscoring the need for further investigation.

“It is difficult to reach a sufficient level of evidence in dietary studies, to make recommendations,” they wrote. “These meta-analyses … support the association of dietary interventions with a tendency to reduce fatigue and an increase in [quality of life] among MS patients.”

The study, “Efficacy of diet on fatigue, quality of life and disability status in multiple sclerosis patients: rapid review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” was published in BMC Neurology.​

Although a number of dietary interventions have been proposed for MS, there is no solid scientific evidence to support any particular dietary strategy for patients. It’s generally recommended that people with MS eat a diet similar to what’s recommended for the general population, with lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.

Among the eight RCTs, three trials including 308 patients tested the effect of dietary intervention on fatigue, a common MS symptom, as measured with the Modified Fatigue Impact Scale (MFIS). The analysis showed dietary intervention significantly reduced MFIS scores, indicating a marked easing of fatigue.

Physical and mental quality of life, as measured by the Multiple Sclerosis Quality of Life (MSQOL) scale, also showed significant improvements after dietary intervention in an analysis that included two studies and 77 patients.

Six studies that included 337 patients assessed the effect of dietary intervention on disability, as measured with the expanded disability status scale (EDSS). There was no significant effect of dietary intervention on EDSS, the analysis showed, suggesting diet has no impact on disability progression.​

“The accumulated evidence from these meta-analyses is not sufficient to support that disease-associated disability, as measured by EDSS, is modified by dietary changes. However, different variables associated with quality of life and fatigue did show improvement after dietary intervention in people with MS,” the researchers said, noting no severe safety problems related to dietary intervention were reported in any studies.

Source: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...-changes-diet/

It's not difficult for me to believe that eating healthy foods can improve fatigue and overall quality of life (mood, energy, etc.).

Normal people (without MS) experience improvements when healthy foods are added and junk foods are reduced / eliminated.

I have experienced a better quality of life with healthier foods and no (or very few) junk foods.

But the easing or lessening of symptom severity does not mean that the MS progression has eased up.

There are anecdotal reports of certain diets stopping the disease process, but have not been scientifically proven as of yet.

It would be fantastic if a particular diet could stop the mechanisms that drive MS neurodegeneration / progression.

Way too simple for a complicated disease of the central nervous system, such as MS?

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      There are anecdotal reports of certain diets stopping the disease process, but have not been scientifically proven as of yet.
      Oh ye of little faith ... the truth is about to come out very soon.
      Eating he Blue-eyed, Yellow-bellied, ring-tailed, polydactyl​, Tasmanian swamp devil is the 100% cure.
      Not only will the swamp rat save MS patients, but people that get in on the ground floor of the
      stock will be uber rich. We expect the stock to IPO soon, maybe Saturday morning around 9:30 on the
      cartoon network and the ticker will be "WB-Taz"

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

Oh ye of little faith ... the truth is about to come out very soon.
        Eating he Blue-eyed, Yellow-bellied, ring-tailed, polydactyl​, Tasmanian swamp devil is the 100% cure.
        Not only will the swamp rat save MS patients, but people that get in on the ground floor of the
        stock will be uber rich. We expect the stock to IPO soon, maybe Saturday morning around 9:30 on the
        cartoon network and the ticker will be "WB-Taz"
        Please, Marco, do tell, where is that swamp??

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I’m a gathering up my prize hound and my gun and heading for Tasmania and going to get me one of those swamp rats !
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
            I’m a gathering up my prize hound and my gun and heading for Tasmania and going to get me one of those swamp rats !
            Let me come with you! The ones you miss I'll run over them with my motorized scooter.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Let me come with you! The ones you miss I'll run over them with my motorized scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

And just think of all the exercise we’ll get at the same time !

Comment

I know that dietary changes can help. I went to a nutritionist several years ago. I tried to follow her protocol which was a modified paleolithic type diet. It did not eliminate all dairy and wanted you to use whole/sprouted grain breads. I followed the protocol for a while but I didn't eat enough vegetables.
                  I did not go to her to lost weight as most of her clients do, but I lost about 30 lbs. I looked like I was going to stave to death, but I had energy. I slept better. I worked on the third floor at my office and I started taking the stairs at least sometimes. I let my Dad and stepmom go with me to one of the appointments. They were not impressed and thought it was a bunk which is what I thought when I went to her. I was at three meetings where she gave her presentation. I wish I could start going to her again.

Comment

Working...
                  X