• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex

Is it difficult to give avonex shots?

Originally posted by dtaylor1101 View Post
    Is it difficult to give avonex shots?
    Well that depends ... I have taken Avonex on two different occasions, and for me I simply couldn't take it.

NOT that the needles hurt, cause they didn't. I have a true needle phobia. Not a dislike of them, not an aversion to them, but a full-blown fear of them.

For the first shot I had a nurse come to my house to teach me how to self inject. I FINALLY managed to put the needle in me and gave myself the injection. Pulled the needle out and looked up to tell the nurse that it wasn't so bad and then passed out!

Had my husband or my mother give me the injections after that but the stress of going though that every week was too much for me. And it really was a shame because I felt better on Avonex than I had felt in a long time.

Comment

When I was dx, there weren't any DMD's available. But, three years later, a vision flare sent me back to the neuro. My follow up MRI showed quite aggressive MS and my neuro told me I was "lucky" three times in that my MS had hit mostly silent areas. He told me to start Avonex ASAP.

IMHO, mind over matter! I am a HUGE needle weenie, but have managed to self-inject Avonex for more than 16 years. The fear of my progressing MS (and the neuro telling me that I was "lucky" three times with my MRI progression) has enabled me to continue with my weekly pokes.

Although I nearly fainted doing my second injection (while slowly pulling that huge needle out of my leg). I came to realize that I cannot watch the needle going in or out of my legs. More than 16 years later, I continue to keep my eyes closed while injecting and pulling out the needle! It keeps me from seeing the needle going in and out of my body.

Of course, my eyes are open while I position my syringe, but then I close my eyes and slowly but surely press down until I can't anymore. Then, I open my eyes, slowly press the syringe down releasing the medicine. Lastly, I take a deep breath and try to relax, while I close my eyes again while I pull the needle out!

Fear is a great motivator, and I found I way to do it! Unfortunately, it's just me. . .and we have to find anyway to try to combat the MonSter!

Best of luck to you finding your way!
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

What's up

Hello everybody. Just wanted to say stay strong and keep fighting and moving forward. I was dx in September of 2011. It was a quick dx. I was having horrible neuropathy in my arm. In the same wk my Neurologist did a EMG,MRI, and then a spinal tap to rule everything else out. Got started on IV steroids and Copaxone. About every 2 months i got a flair up along with more steriods. They said it took the Copaxone about a year plus to go into full effect which sucked. Mainly because i was getting more lesions and the Copaxone was given me severe side effects. About a year later my city dr and local dr decided to switch me to Avonex. At that time i devloped Osteonecrosis in my left hip b/c of getting all the IV steriods. So then back on 9/24/13 i got a total hip replacement. Since i been on the Avonex i have not needed steroids or had a flair up until now.

Thank You, Get back to me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
        X