Suggestion for all avobex users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for all avobex users

My neuro suggested that I take 2 alieve an hour befire my avobex pen injection. That in combination with drinking a ton if water has really seemed to make a huge difference with flu symptoms !

Yes, use of over-the-counter medications to counter flu-like symptoms is a pretty standard recommendation from neurologists, the Avonex staff and nurses, and fellow MS patients.

Aleve is one choice, I use Tylenol, others use Advil. (Of course, you can also use their generic equivalents, but those are harder for me to spell.) Using an OTC medication is a personal choice, much like choosing a DMD. What works for one person might not for another, and there are side effects to consider.

The timing of OTC medication usage also varies among us. An hour before injection is fine, but I've learned that if I do that and then go to bed immediately after injection, the OTC medicine might wear off in the middle of the night just as the side effects are intensifying. I often use my Tylenol five hours or so ahead of injection to get it in the system, then again just after injection and before shuteye. That stands a better chance of getting me through the night.

You'll find many other threads full of tricks to help get you through injections. Ask questions anytime!

Comment

Aleve is my choice, and I do take 2 an hour prior to injection, set an alarm for 4-5 hours later and take another one. Nothing works better for me than Aleve.

Comment

Aleve and Avonex

I have discovered that if I take Aleve a day prior to my injection and the day of and sometimes the day after my headache and other aches are much less. The more difficult part for me is that it really is making me feel down a day after I give it. I now give myself the day after my injection the day off of being around a lot of activity and people. I have found that I am much less cranky and depressed feeling if I enjoy reading or a funny movie.

Comment

Avonex side effects

Hi - I have been taking Avonex for almost 5mos. now. The flu like symptoms come on like a storm 4-6 hours after the injection. They stay for one day or 3 days or 7 days. That part was better this week but I have these leg and joint aches that don't quit. I take Tylenol with some relief but it is a nagging sort of discomfort and I wish it would go away! Any suggestions? Happy Valentines Day everyone!

Comment

Hi Anne! It can take some time to figure out the best routine to ward off side effects. Hydration seems to be a big part of the fix. Avonex definitely dehydrates me, be sure you are hydrating the next day after your injection as well as the day you do the shot.

Tylenol works well for pain, but is not an anti-inflammatory. Maybe trying a different med and see how that goes if you can tolerate others.

I recently started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin and have less joint pain. It was recommended to my one friend after knee surgery by her ortho doc. I also was sitting an older dog who took this supplement, I figured if it was good enough for her, it was worth a try, lol!

Comment

I have only been on Avonex for 9 months now but I think I have figured out what works best for me.

I take 800 mg ibuprofen 1/2 hour before injection and then repeat every 4 hours til 24 hours is up. I also hydrate with 100 oz. of water before injection and about 50 oz following. I get super sick if I don't follow that exact routine and I am just fine if I do all of that.

Good luck in finding what works best for you. All of us have a different chemical make-up so what works for me may not work for others.
              Tira

Comment

Glad I found this thread - my close friend is now on interferon (Avonex) for optic neuritis - the flu symptoms have been not too bad having followed the advice here - thanks

Comment

in agreement with Tira

I agree Tira...I drank 100 oz of water during the day before the shot and 2 ibuprofen right before shot time, and was fine the morning after with no side effects.
                  I whole-heartedly believe it is the water that kept the flu sx away. I got good advice from MS World and followed it!
                  The only bad thing is...a lot of water means a lot of trips to the bathroom, which kept me up all night. A small price to pay for avoiding the aches, pains, and general icky side effects of Avonex.

-see
                  ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                  Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                  Avonex 1/12-10/12
                  Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                  Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

Yes we are finding that hydration is important, but my friend still needs the pain-killers - alternating ibuprofen 400mg with paracetamol (acetaminophen in the US I think) every 3-4 hours seems to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X