Avonex and Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and Surgery

Has anyone been told to skip a week(or two) of injections if having surgery? Interferons may inhibit the healing process and make one more prone to infection(according to the Avonex literature).

I've had 4 surgeries since I've been diagnosed...2 surgeons. One of those surgeons insisted I go off the Betaseron for a month before and a month after my surgeries (he said he read the fine print and there was a possibility that Beta could affect the surgery results...he might have been specific as to how, but my memory is vague on the issue.)

the other 2 surgeries I had were pump surgeries, performed by a neurosurgeon. He did not have me go off the Beta.

I seemed to have a normal recovery from all the surgeries, but I did get a MRSA infection after my last pump surgery. I really don't think it had anything to do with staying on the Beta before/after the surgery. However, I did go off the Beta once the MRSA showed up because I was to report any fevers and I couldn't tell if the fever was from an interferon injection or the infection, but once the MRSA was gone I titrated back up to my normal Betaseron dose.

I hope your surgery goes well. I just went along with the surgeon's recommendations in each case because, well because they were the surgeon

Comment

Working...
    X