Avonex causing migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex causing migraines

I've been taking Avonex for almost 8 years. I have been luckily enough to do well on this medication without major symptoms or side effects. Last year I had to stop my medication due to a lack of medical insurance and was off of my meds for about a year and a half. I began back on Avonex this past August. Since I have been back on my meds this go around, I have had more side effects such as, migraines about 6 hours after taking my shot and the full on flu like systems. I already suffer from migraines and have not found any medication helpful to relieve them.
    Is this a normal side effect? Does anyone else suffer from this and what do you do to treat it? I am also considering going off Avonex and beginning a new beta interferon. Any ideas or feedback would be awesome, thanks.
    Desiree
    Relapsing Remitting MS for 8 years

In the future, if you have medical coverage issues, be sure to call Avonex. They have financial assistance & have even provided the medication for free, all depending on your salary.

As for the side effects, it sounds like your body is having to readjust. I think they normally say to give it 3 or 4 months & if there's no improvement then you can consider switching. I have heard people say that one of their side effects is bad headaches.

I used to get bad migraines, not related to my meds, and Zomig ZMT always helped. Didn't make me drowsy & worked fast.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Thanks so much! That's great information. I'll look into Zomig and give the adjustment some more time. This is super helpful.
      Desiree

Comment

I suffer from migraines too and the only thing that helps me is excedrine. This is only coming from personal experience. You should check with your doctor :-)

Comment

Westgirl is right. You should never go without. Avonex has one of the most generous programs even with a working person's income, but they all have some program. Also, you doctor may get samples.

Comment

taking naproxin

Thanks. I was prescribed Naproxin with Sulfate at 550mg and that has helped with my migraines. I know when to expect them, so I can take the Naproxin right when I begin to feel the migraine come on.
            Desiree

Comment

Avonex Migraine

I too suffer chronic migraines. I took Avonex for three months last year and it would give me the most unbearable migraine that high powered narcotics would not even touch. The migraine would last for 24 hours and the flue symptoms would last for three days. After three months of this my neurologist decided to take me off of avonex and wanted to put me on a non disease modifying medication. I did not see the purpose in that. So I went a year with no treatment, no new lesions but worsening symptoms so my doctor sent me to a new neurologist who after hearing my side effects thought the titration device would help.

I took the first dose which was 1/4 dose and got the same migraine that was uncontrollable by anything. I even pre- med with aleve and prednisone. I talked with a avonex nurse and pharmacist as well as a Accredo nurse and pharmacist. Since I had previously tried three months with no improvement, all four said I should not take anymore avonex but Accredo told me about a new pill from avonex that is coming out in the spring that shows to be just as effective but without the side effects. Going to my neurologist today to see what he says. I wish you luck! This is just my story of avonex,
              some people adjust well to it but according to avonex some people just aren't able to take interferon and they say I am one of them.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
              X