I was recently diagnosed with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was recently diagnosed with MS

Six years ago I had went completely blind in my right eye and I was treated for optic-neuritis and I got most of my vision back within two days after starting a high dosage of steroids. This time when I had a flare up I have went numb down the entire right side of my body and partially deaf in my left ear. My vision was damaged but not too bad and it is back. My neurologist tells me that he wants to start me on Avonex and I will be doing the 1/4 dosage and working my way up to the full dosage.

I dont know what the best medication is or which one has the least side effects but I am just going to pray and ask God to move because I know he is the great physician. I am feeling a little depressed and a little on an island all by myself. May seem crazy because I have alot of support but nobody realizes what I am going through. I am a school teacher and bus driver and cannot afford to retire at the present time.

I am hoping through prayer and avonex that I will be able to live a normal and productive life. I wish everyone on here the best.

One short story that really made me feel low yesterday was that I have a cousin who has been confined to a wheel chair every since birth and she is over 50 years of age now. I called her 0 times to check on her because we really just werent that close. Since i have been sick, she has called me at least 4 times and tells me she loves me and is praying for me. Sort of makes me put things in prospective that I havent been doing the things I need to do.

Good luck with Avonex! I was stressed out before I started after hearing all of the horrible stories about the side effects. I also started with the partial dosing & it really did help.

Avonex helped give me a little hope. I was diagnosed this past May & started on Avonex the same time. It does put things into perspective. How important it is to enjoy every day, your loved ones, and not dwelling on all of the what ifs.

My diagnosis has actually helped me to become a healthier person. I'm also much more positive & I try to enjoy every day that I am healthy & able to do whatever I want.

Best of luck!
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

the short answer is that none of the first line (Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex and Betaseron) are the best. They're all just about as effective.

however, in my opinion, one should start with either Avonex (fewest shots) or Copaxone (fewest side effects).

One of them may or may not work for you so you just have to try and stick with them. BTW, the full dose of avonex will be difficult for a while - Flu-like symptoms doesn't accurately describe it. You may feel terrible, but it does get better. For some it takes a month or two, for others like me, a year or two.

but you will get through it. And don't focus on anyone else's story - we all have our own paths in MS. You may be lucky.

Comment

Praying for you!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Be blessed
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Welcome to the "pin-cushion club!"

Sorry that you're a member, but I view starting a DMD as the silver lining in the MS cloud. BTW, I've been self-injecting Avonex for 15 years and sometimes I still can't believe I'm doing it as I'm a huge needle weenie!

I was dx in 1994 (no DMDs back then, it was diagnose and adios) but my follow up MRI in 1997 showed very active disease (silent progression). My neuro wanted me to start Avonex right away (only Beta or Avonex on market then).

The first three months starting Avonex were just awful, but eventually my body adjusted. But, to this day, sometimes I still have flu-like side effects but mostly nothing (Advil helps).

Wishing you the best as you begin your Avonex journey!
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Hi Stacy, I hope that Avonex is a good med for you and you start taking a bit of control back! Please don't feel down about not calling your cousin, if you weren't that close why would you? At least she has reached out to you, maybe you can have a relationship now. Take care and keep us updated on how you're doing.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

avonex advice

Hi, i have had ms 20 years. took avonex for 10 years and now on gilenya for the last 8 months. the only reason i changed to gilenya was because i was just sick and tired of injecting myself and i was going on an overseas holiday and thought tablets would be an easier thing to take. when on gilenya after i injected i used to feel cold to my bones for that evening. so i would inject later in the evening so i was asleep before the side effect kicked in. also make sure you inject in the right spot and ultinate (left leg one week right leg the next) i got slack and towards the end of the ten year period i just used to inject in my right leg (because i'm right handed, found that easier) well i injected into the main nerve by mistake and the pain was unbelievable, for at least six months my leg was terribly painful, couldn't bear anyone to touch it. apart from that i had no problems and would recommend avonex, i had ten good years. and i'm hoping for the same on gilenya. I've had no problems with gilenya... GOOD LUCK WITH AVONEX

Comment

Working...
              X