Stopping for a little while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping for a little while...

I'm unable to get my Avonex for the time being, and my last shot was last week Friday (the 20th) and no idea when I'll be able to take another one. Does anything happen when it's all out of my system for a long time? I've only been taking Avonex since February, but I haven't had any side effects (the flu-like symptoms) in a few months. And does that mean that when I resume injections that I'll have to deal with side effects again?
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Why aren't you able to get avonex? If it's because of cost, call them. They can and do help in amazing ways.

Comment

I had shot #397 last December after seven weeks off. Sure enough, I had "significant side effects for 48 hours" according to my journal. I remember it being reminiscent of my first shot. A week later, the side effects were much more tolerable, and week three was back to normal, negligible with my regimen of Tylenol and hydration.

So, LostCupcakes, I expect that unfortunately you may have to endure more substantial side effects upon restart, but I hope your hiatus is short so that the side effects may not be as bad and so that you can continue attacking the disease.

Comment

My Medicaid ended the end of June, and with getting social security disability now I make too much money to get it renewed. I'm currently going through the application process for insurance through the county hospital, which I've had before so I'm hoping they'll approve me again. And soon! I'm out of Avonex and almost out of my other meds.

Thanks for the info TLC. And it's a reminder that I really need to make sure to keep updating my journal. I'm really bad about only writing in it every once in awhile, instead of as often as I should.

Comment

Well since you are getting SSD, I imagine you'll qualify for their free drug program. Call the avonex people, they can help you get it, they were very quick also.

Comment

I think dpmich meant to call Biogen, the company that makes Avonex. Most of the companies have assistance programs to help people who can't afford the medication. I would think that since yours is only a temporary hiatus, you might be a good candidates for such assistance.

For Avonex, I think it's called the Active Access program -- you might google it and see what's involved.

Comment

Definitely call Avonex! I started in May & I work full time but the copay was ridiculous. They said they would review me for financial assistance. It was literally the easiest process you'll go through! They don't make you jump through hoops & they approved me for a $10 a month copay! Keep in mind I work full time. Don't go without your meds if you don't have to. Give them a call! The info & their toll free # is on their website.
              Diagnosed: May 2012
              Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
              Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Thanks everyone. It never occurred to me that they might be able to help. I'll call Avonex

Comment

UPDATE

Called Avonex yesterday. They were very understanding and helpful. Quick phone 'interview' then faxed my social security award letter and was told: FREE Avonex will be shipped to me from their pharmacy (name that I don't remember) for as long as I don't have insurance coverage for up to 2 years. So I'm just waiting for the pharmacy to call me. Isn't that amazing?!? Thanks guys for reminding me of what should have been the first obvious thing to do, lol. I usually miss the obvious, unfortunately.

Comment

So glad they helped you! And thanks for the update
                    Diagnosed: May 2012
                    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
                    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I'm so glad they gave you the 2 years free also. I didn't want to say that they'd go that far if your income guidelines didn't fit, you know? But I got mine free also, and was thrilled.

Thanks also special Kay, that was a bad brain day for me I gather. lol
                      (I had a great lady work for me that we all called "special kay" also!)

Comment

Glad to hear LostCupcakes was successful getting the folks at Avonex to help her out. I have some some hope now. I have been on Avonex for one full year. Now our family insurance has changed, and I cannot afford the monthly co-pay anymore. (It's like making a car payment!). So I have contacted the Avonex Active Access, sent them my 1040 tax docs, and now I am waiting. This will be only my second week without the injection, so if I do get approved hopefully it will not be so bad of side effects after two weeks. But thanks for the hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Pazer View Post
                          Glad to hear LostCupcakes was successful getting the folks at Avonex to help her out. I have some some hope now. I have been on Avonex for one full year. Now our family insurance has changed, and I cannot afford the monthly co-pay anymore. (It's like making a car payment!). So I have contacted the Avonex Active Access, sent them my 1040 tax docs, and now I am waiting. This will be only my second week without the injection, so if I do get approved hopefully it will not be so bad of side effects after two weeks. But thanks for the hope.
                          Oh I really hope they can help you out with your Avonex! I only missed one shot and the only side effect I had when I started injections again was just a headache that lasted two days. So, hopefully it'll go easy for you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LostCupcakes View Post
                            I'm unable to get my Avonex for the time being, and my last shot was last week Friday (the 20th) and no idea when I'll be able to take another one. Does anything happen when it's all out of my system for a long time? I've only been taking Avonex since February, but I haven't had any side effects (the flu-like symptoms) in a few months. And does that mean that when I resume injections that I'll have to deal with side effects again?
                            Have you applied for the Avonex program where they supply you with starting at 2 years for free? You just have to make under 100k and not have insurance that covers the cost of the medication.

I spoke with my Avonex mentor and the pharmacist about this and it is like starting over with treatment if you stop for only about a month. The pharmcist said 2 weeks no problem if you've been taking it for a while - but really you need to keep taking it for it to be effective.

Call Avonex, if you haven't already and try to get set up on the program. It is excellent. The specialty pharmacy they use is fantastic. You can get it set up in a couple of weeks if not sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by LostCupcakes View Post
                              Also, if you do not qualify for the Access program, talk with you Dr. about being in a trial program for another MS drug. It's better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X