No announcement yet.

Very interested to hear..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only done the prefilled kind, but I have heard others say that they had fewer side effects on the powdered form.

Comment

I started on Avonex this year, after 5 years of refusing to go on any DMD. (Dx in 2008 officially; had my first flare in 2007.)

Mainly because of the fear of needles, but also because I felt that the side effects weren't worth the benefits.

As the other posters have mentioned - it is a VERY personal decision.

Regarding the side effects - mine haven't been too bad & I find that they are diminishing over time. I took my injection last night at 10 PM & went to work at 9 AM this morning until 6:30. I do get a little fatigue - but not sure if it's true fatigue or just boredom.

I thank God that this medication has worked so well for me.
      Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
      UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I was on it for 5 years, stopped 3 years ago, as it caused me to get iron deficient, ended up with both low rbc and wbc. I am doing much better off it, was not doing badly on it so it probably did nothing a all except cause some serious side effects. I have chosen not to start another DMD.

Comment

you've prolly heard about the flu-like symptoms.
          to help elevate them i took (was on A for a year or so) an ibuprofen(some take Advil or Tylenol) 2 hours b4 the shot, 2 hours after and 4 hours after that.
          one time i forgot to take it 2 hours after and wound up spiking a fever of 104.1. i was .1 away from my parents taking me to the ER (i was 13 at the time)
          Learn from yesterday
          Live for today
          Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by wally8 View Post
            your thoughts on Avonex. I am so glad to see these new sub forums on the interferons.
            I was doing research into which of the DMD's i will go on and was quite surprised that the interferons were not included in the meds and treatments forum

Anyhoo I think I have narrowed it down to Avonex, my reasoning being the once a week shot opposed to daily and I am still too nervous to take the daily pill for me it hasnt been around long enough to elay my fears.

My question is to those of you who are on or have been on Avonex, could you let me know what your experience has been so far and any info you may have come across that might help me in my final decision.
            Thanks
            Kathy
            Avonex has been a life saver for me. I think back to what my life was like before treatment, and I was basically unable to function. The side effects (very few) are nothing compared not using it. I get stressed out and it has held me back at times from doing my shot - not because of the side effects, but because of the needle. Then I kick myself when I finally do it. It's not bad The new pen makes it effortless.

Comment

Working...
            X