Provigil discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provigil discontinued?

I got a script for Provigil a couple weeks ago and my Prior Authorization finally went through. The pharmacy tech told me that it was all set and I could pick it up tonight. A couple hours later the Pharmacist called and told me that Provigil is discontinued. I know it is going generic this summer, but discontinued WTF? I asked her about Nuvigil and she said that it is on backorder. Has anybody else run into this yet? Now I am waiting on my Neuro to get back in touch with me(always takes too long).

Whoa! I just called in a refill today, so I will let you know what happens.

Comment

I just called my pharmacy and my refill of Provigil is ready to pick up. I'm relieved. I don't think it is going generic until 2012.

Let us know what happens with your prescription. Sorry you have to go thru all this.

Comment

well...

I called another Pharmacy, a more specialized Dr. Aziz Pharmacy, as opposed to CVS. Dr. Aziz has it in stock and will fill it tomorrow. I called CVS back and the tech told me that it isn't necessarily discontinued, but the 200mg is on backorder. Why did the Pharmacist tell me that it was outright discontinued, and not tell me that they had 100mg on hand that my doc could prescribe? Is she on the drug company's payroll, trying to push Nuvigil? The tech said that they haven't been able to get any 200mg for months, which usually leads to a discontinuation. I will ask at Dr Aziz tomorrow to get more info from more professional pharmacists. Im new to MS and between this prescription issue and the headaches I am getting from Curascript, the Rebif pharmacy, I have about had enough of this.

Comment

I asked for Nuvigil at my last appointment, and Anthem denied it, but approved the Provigil.

My hassle getting Provigil is far less than what I've been going thru trying to get Rhinocort approved. Finally I just paid for it myself after having to try two other products that were approved but didn't work very well at the height of ragweed season. I stood at the pharmacy and cried and said, "I am just tired of being sick, I'll pay for it myself!" End of rant.....

Glad you are getting your Provigil!

Comment

Told that Nuvigil newer

My neurologist told me that Nuvigil would be cheaper than Provigil so he prescribed that for me. Well, the Walgreens pharmacy rep. about fell over when my 3 month supply came to $800. How is that cheap?!?! My husband and I decided to use that until my next appointment and get a script for provigil. Our insurance is kind of screwy(but which one isn't) so when we max everything I will switch to what is more affordable long term. Frustrating drug world! Ugh!

Comment

I'm thinking your Nuvigil is cheaper, they have really escalated the cost of Provigil since Nuvigil came on the market.

I just got my prescription for 15 pills (200 mg.) insurance paid $319, and I paid $45. That is about $24 per pill. When I first started taking Provigil a few years ago, it was about $10 a pill.

Comment

have any of you experinaced a Change in your personality since useing Provigil?

Comment

I was recently declined for Provigil. I had been taking it for a year or so. My neuro prescribed Amantadine. I don't find it to be as effective but I still take it. It gets me through the day. Be well, ~S

Comment

I check my warehouse and the have 500 bottles of the Provigil in stock.

It is going generic, but the Brand will still be available even then.

Comment

Hi,
                      I'm getting ready to go off of Provigil bc of price and switching to Amantadine. I've been on Provigil for years... Did you go off of Provigil over time or switch right away?

Thanks,
                      Kat

Originally posted by smcb95 View Post
                      I was recently declined for Provigil. I had been taking it for a year or so. My neuro prescribed Amantadine. I don't find it to be as effective but I still take it. It gets me through the day. Be well, ~S
                      Nothing is Impossible.......

Dx'ed in 1988
                      Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

Kat. this isn't what you asked, but I went off Provigil and tried Ritalin, which worked well. I did not go off it over time, just switched. I've also taken Amantadine which had a very subtle effect on my fatigue.

We have to do what we can until Provigil goes generic in 2012.....the ritalin was very inexpensive.

Comment

Actually, the company that makes Provigil is getting a little tricky. See, the formula is going to go generic in the not too distant future and they will lose patients going on the generic. So in the meantime they came up with Nuvigil which is SLIGHTLY different from Provigil but won't go generic for a long time. They lowered the cost of Nuvigil while raising the cost on Provigil so that way people will already be on Nuvigil and not necessarily go over to the Provigil generic.

Sneaky drug companies...

Comment

Still denied Provigil and Nuvigil. In answer to the question. Went immediately to Amantadine but not as effective. Did not like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X