Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience on Wellbutrin?

Hello,

it’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. My neurologist is recommending Wellbutrin XL 150 once a day for my anxiety/depression/energy level/etc. It seems to be a one stop fix it, kind of drug.

Ive read some strong positives, but also some scary negatives on for people who have used this medication. Everything from ‘best thing ever’ to ‘didn’t sleep for days and my hair is falling out’. Yikes!

I don’t know that any of the reviewers had MS so I would appreciate knowing how people with MS feel on the drug.

I am probably overly cautious when trying a new med, but this one seems like it might be great or really horrible.

Any feedback you can give on it would be appreciated.

Thank you

When I was first diagnosed, I went on Wellbutrin and it helped - also prescribed by my neuro. I was on it about a year until I felt like my depression and anxiety resolved.

Fast forward 9 years and I was struggling with work, anxious about whether I could continue, and depressed. Same Neuro, said Wellbutrin since I had a good response before. Unfortunately, this time, it heightened my anxiety and I couldn't function. He recommended I see a psychiatrist since they are more specialized in these meds.

The psychiatrist changed my meds and said that sometimes Wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety, and changed my meds to Lexapro. Since the anxiety was ratched so high from the Wellbutrin, also prescribed Ativan and recommended I see a psychologist. I was only on Ativan about 2 months, the Lexapro about 16 months as I worked thru my issues with the psychologist weekly to start, monthly at the end. I also saw the psychiatrist monthly for first 3 months, then every 3 months.

Unfortunately, it can be trial and error with depression meds. But I highly recommend them if needed. You just may need to be patient to get the right one for you. You may also want to consider therapy.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you are doing.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experiences pennstater. I agree that depression meds can be trial and error.

I was on Lexapro a few years ago and it did just okay for me. It wasn’t great. I was also on Prozac way back in the day when it was first out in the market. That was a lifesaver for a few years, then seemed to stop working.

I want to be excited to start Wellbutrin but lately, the thought of taking any additional meds makes me anxious (and yes, I absolutely see the irony.)

Comment

I will say that the first time, I did have a great experience with Wellbutrin. It did help with all 3 - depression anxiety, and fatigue

The fatigue could be depression related or MS related, but until the depression lifts, we don't really know.

Have you tried and if not, considered a psychologist to talk thru the depression/anxiety and get some tools to help you improve? I highly recommend it. That being said, if you have deep depression and anxiety, you may want to start on a med to get you stable enough to benefit from therapy.

Wish you well.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X