Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aricept/Donepezil

Hello,
    I have had MS since 2004. I have been fortunate to keep working full time etc. I have never taken any MS medications. More recently I am having challenges with memory and forming verbal communication. Part of my job involves public speaking and this has become a source of embarrassment. In 2020 I started with a new neurologists and explained the problem. She sent me for a neuropsychological exam and MRI. I showed left temporal activity and the neuropsych identified challenges and the doctor said "you are still functioning at a normal level" and that "we will need to set this as your baseline and see you again in the future". During Covid-19 the neurologists stopped practicing and then disappeared. I later found out that she had lost a malpractice lawsuit. I was exploring an answer for my cognitive problems and never got an answer before she was gone. I have been looking into Aricept and interested in if anyone has tried it and how was the experience (did it help, problems, etc.) Any feedback is appreciated.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

If you have a new neurologist, I would ask him/her to send you for a subsequent neuropsych eval with the same neuropsychologist if possible. If it has been 2 years, they can compare and see if any changes.

​​​​​​You may have already done this, but also make sure your diet hasn't changed, you are sleeping well, no medicines/supplements, vitamin deficiencies that could contribute to cognitive issues. Hopefully you are also able to get some exercise in.

I can't comment on atricept, as I have no experience with it. I did take a program called Cogmed thru a neuropsychologist, it did improve some functioning and 6 years later, still feel I did not regress. That being said, it didn't fix all my issues, but it really helped with short term memory. I do feel it helped with word finding as well.

I hope you find an answer.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for your response. It is crazy but my new neurologist is gone after one visit/examination. The idea of starting over with another neurologist is exhausting. Also, I guess I thought it was too soon for another neuropsych exam, but maybe that is what is needed. My primary care doctor is considering writing the prescription, he has prescribed Prednisone for me when needed. I was wanting to find out if anyone else had success with Aricept.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I just received the prescription from my PCP. 5 mg one time per day at bedtime.

Comment

i used to take aricept back in 2009, around when i was first diagnosed. i asked my internist to prescribe it after doing research on it. the first time i took it, i was teary and kind of emotional and nauseous -- i had a general feeling of being really, really sick. but it seemed to keep me pretty sharp, and i learned to chase it with a half of a clonazepam to stave off the horrible sickness and intestinal upset.

Comment

Twentymiles- Since starting, have you noticed any difference?

zebulun- thanks for sharing. Have you discontinued the use of it? If so, did you notice any changes when you stopped?
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              Twentymiles- Since starting, have you noticed any difference?

zebulun- thanks for sharing. Have you discontinued the use of it? If so, did you notice any changes when you stopped?
              I finally took the Aricept as prescribed. I was waiting for a slower time at work because I wanted to minimize disruptions. So, I really could not feel a big difference in cognitive improvement. The medication definitely disrupted my sleep pattern. I tried it before bed time as suggested on the prescription and also in the morning and at mid-day. It always resulted in restlessness and caused me significant problems with falling asleep. It did give me additional energy, but with the loss of sleep overall it was detrimental. I tried it for 2-months and the lack of sleep did not improve. So, I stopped taking the medication. That was my experience. I have tried choline supplements in the past and had better cognitive improvement than with Aricept.

Comment

Working...
              X