Home From Pump Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home From Pump Surgery

Had my pump implanted Wed. Surgery was uneventful and they sent me home Thurs. afternoon. So far so good. There is still a good deal of spasticity in my left leg, but I'm hoping that will be addressed at my upcoming Dr. appointment. The one thing that bothered me was the PA. who talked to me before discharge, listing all the don'ts said no swimming. When I asked him to clarify that, he said not for 2 months. I have a pool. I Love my pool time. No one ever said swimming in a pool was not allowed. That would have been a deal breaker. Anyone with a pump still swimming?

I think the swimming must be because of the incision and danger of infection from prolonged exposure to the water. I can't see why swimming after it's completely healed would be a problem.
    Did he say it's OK to shower or bathe in a tub?

I found waterproof bandages helpful, like Nexcare Waterproof Adhesive Dressing with Pad. I used those for showering until the stitches were out.

You can get them big enough to completely cover the incision with a pad. Surrounding that is a peel off clear sticky tape area that really keeps water out. The big ones are usually available only online.

Not that I'd advise going against doctor's orders. Maybe discuss at your next appointment to clarify.

Comment

Hi kmallory Thanks for your thoughts. I think as you do that it was just for the time I was healing. My Dr. did say no baths, but showering after I remove the dressings was ok. I like your idea about the Nexcare bandages. I have some, but I'll check my pharmacy for the big ones. I know hot tubs and deep scuba diving are off limits (no problem for me as I don't do either). But I'd be devastated if I can't use my pool.

Comment

Working...
      X