MS Drug Effectiveness, Safety & Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Drug Effectiveness, Safety & Value

ICER Report: New Multiple Sclerosis Drugs More Effective, But Safety Concerns Abound

Three relatively new disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) — alemtuzumab, natalizumab, and ocrelizumab — are significantly more effective than other DMTs in the reduction of relapses in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS), according to the latest Institute for Clinical and Economic Review (ICER) evidence report.1

The ICER report included data from 33 trials of 10 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved DMTs for MS in the context of the therapeutic goal to decrease the frequency of relapses and prevent further disability. In comparing efficacy of all DMTs with safety, none of the agents in the ICER report were deemed “ideal.”

Annualized Relapse Rates Among DMTs
    Three of the 4 relatively new DMTs (alemtuzumab, natalizumab, and ocrelizumab but not daclizumab) showed a reduction in the annualized relapse rate (ARR) of approximately 70% compared with placebo.

The next most effective agents were fingolimod, daclizumab, rituximab, and dimethyl fumarate, collectively producing a 47% to 54% reduction in ARR.

The lowest efficacy (17% to 37% reduction in ARR) was reported in a group of traditional therapies including interferons, glatiramer acetate 20 mg, and teriflunomide.

Slowing Disease Progression
    The newly approved agents (including alemtuzumab, ocrelizumab, daclizumab, and natalizumab) showed the most benefits in slowing disability in RRMS compared with placebo (58%, 53%, 46%, and 44% reductions, respectively).

Four older DMTs — interferon β-1a 30 mcg, interferon β-1a 22 mcg, teriflunomide 7 mg, and glatiramer acetate 40 mg — did not demonstrate significant improvements in disease progression. All others had moderate benefits.

Safety
    The safest agents were interferons, glatiramer acetate, and teriflunomide. The least safe, due to the risk of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) in patients with positive testing results for the JC virus, were alemtuzumab and natalizumab. Several drugs, including teriflunomide, daclizumab, fingolimod, dimethyl fumarate, ocrelizumab, and natalizumab in JC virus-negative patients, were deemed to have moderate safety compared to all other DMTs.

Value of Therapy Compared to Supportive Care

The ICER group developed a simulation model to estimate the lifetime cost of a particular therapy, taking into account wholesale acquisition cost, dosing, administration, monitoring, and average discounts applied. The estimated lifetime drug cost was then used as a basis of comparison with the costs of supportive care that included inpatient and outpatient care from multiple relapses, disease progression, and ultimate mortality from RRMS. Using this model, the related health care costs over a patient's projected lifetime ranged from approximately $572,000 for alemtuzumab to $1.5 million for daclizumab, compared with approximately $333,300 for supportive care. The model took into account costs from relapses and prevented relapses in RRMS, as well as incremental costs-per-life-year gained and quality-adjusted life years.

Using an acceptable threshold of $150,000 for cost per therapy, compared with supportive care alemtuzumab ($35,000) provided the highest number of quality-adjusted life years gained at a significantly reduced cost compared with all other therapies (range = $185,000 for interferon β-1b 250 mcg to $341,000 for interferon β- 1a 22 mcg).

Overall, the report suggests that the improved clinical benefits of newer agents must continue to be weighed against the risks of safety complications and financial burden over a patient's lifetime.

http://www.neurologyadvisor.com/mult...rticle/637539/

Great info, Marco ! Where in that bunch of words is 'progressive' MS mentioned ! Where others recognize the therapeutic improvements made on behalf of the majority of MSers, I continue to advocate for some measure of therapeutic improvements for progressive MSers, who continue to be sadly underserved . Stepchildren! That's all I am saying !

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
      Using an acceptable threshold of $150,000 for cost per therapy, compared with supportive care alemtuzumab ($35,000) provided the highest number of quality-adjusted life years gained at a significantly reduced cost compared with all other therapies (range = $185,000 for interferon β-1b 250 mcg to $341,000 for interferon β- 1a 22 mcg).
      Well, that can't last. If the risks of Lemtrada become more acceptable for more patients and the demand for it rises, Genzyme will push that subjective "acceptable threshold" by raising the cost by $100,000 to put it in the range of other MS drugs. If other companies are getting $185,000 to $341,000, the marketplace has shown that to be the real "acceptable threshold," not $150,000.

Drugs are just another product, and as with supply and demand for any other product, the sale price is what the market will bear.

Comment

Cost of MS drugs with Medicare, MC supplement, Medicare Part D

Now, age 68. I was dx'd with MS 1990. Started Tysabri 10 years ago. I am now walking without my cane on flat surfaces.Have to go on Medicare Supplement Plus Part D next month. Need to pick a plan to cover the costs of all my perscriptions like: Ampyra, Amrix, Enablex. So far I have only been able to find plans that cost huge dollars like $65,000/year or more. Medicare covers Tysabri? I haven't heard of that. Can someone fill me in about what Medicare covers in regard to Tysabri, Ampyra, Amrix, Enablex?

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyB View Post
          Now, age 68. I was dx'd with MS 1990. Started Tysabri 10 years ago. I am now walking without my cane on flat surfaces.Have to go on Medicare Supplement Plus Part D next month. Need to pick a plan to cover the costs of all my perscriptions like: Ampyra, Amrix, Enablex. So far I have only been able to find plans that cost huge dollars like $65,000/year or more. Medicare covers Tysabri? I haven't heard of that. Can someone fill me in about what Medicare covers in regard to Tysabri, Ampyra, Amrix, Enablex?
          I went on Medicare Feb.1 and had my 1st infusion on Thursday. Medicare does cover Tysabri under Part B at 80%. It needs to be done at an approved facility (i.e. most likely hospital), and I had to leave my old facility to go to a hospital where it is now being done. You need to pick up a Medicare Supplement plan that has Plan F. If you do that, the other 20% of the Tysabri infusion will be totally picked up, so no cost to you. I found a monthly supplemental for only $125.

Your prescriptions are trickier. I was on Ampyra, but my co-pay was subsidized by Acorda, the company that makes Ampyra, and I was only paying $40 a month. That stops once you're on Medicare, and I didn't want to shell out $5000 a year under part D. I switched to 4-AP, basically the generic of Ampyra, and instead of taking 2 pills a day, 12 hours apart, I'm now taking 1 pill, every three hours. My yearly cost is under $600. However, if your other two prescriptions aren't available as generics, you might just want to bite the bullet and pay the $5000 a year. That's the max you'll have to pay.

I recommend the "ehealthmedicareplans" website for different plans. If you have a Costco in your area, you can go through the pharmacy page (right hand column) online to reach them or just go directly to their website. It is very easy to use, and you can compare plans. I found the governmental medicare site a total disaster! Stay away from Medicare Advantage since you have a preexisting condition. I purchased both my supplemental and part D through this site, and the people they connect you with are very knowledgeable and helpful. Just make sure you enter your prescriptions before you start comparing plans to make sure they are in the "formulary", a new term you'll need to know. Oh yeah, and make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page to see "all plans". They highlight some on the 1st page, but you need to see them all.

Good luck! Hope this is helpful. I've gone from almost $13000 year to less than $3000.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
            Great info, Marco ! Where in that bunch of words is 'progressive' MS mentioned ! Where others recognize the therapeutic improvements made on behalf of the majority of MSers, I continue to advocate for some measure of therapeutic improvements for progressive MSers, who continue to be sadly underserved . Stepchildren! That's all I am saying !
            Yes, you are stepchildren because the vast majority of the money is on the RRMS side.

44 days ...

Comment

For years I've been aware of the statistics on PML in Tysabri-related cases of people with MS but a statistic is an impersonal thing. It's all very well to realize that PML is an often-fatal brain infection and to be able to imagine how horrible that must be.

It's another thing to know someone who dies of PML. I never met this woman in person but felt as if I knew her pretty well online over the last 12 years or so.

She had been on Tysabri about 10 years and was quite happy with it but in December 2016 she developed PML and died a few days ago. A mutual friend was with her at the time of her death. It was very very sad.

A person has to weigh the risks and benefits very carefully when deciding for or against a drug like Tysabri. Though everyone here probably knows that, it might not hurt to emphasize it once more....
              MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                I went on Medicare Feb.1 and had my 1st infusion on Thursday. Medicare does cover Tysabri under Part B at 80%. It needs to be done at an approved facility (i.e. most likely hospital), and I had to leave my old facility to go to a hospital where it is now being done. You need to pick up a Medicare Supplement plan that has Plan F. If you do that, the other 20% of the Tysabri infusion will be totally picked up, so no cost to you. I found a monthly supplemental for only $125.

Your prescriptions are trickier. I was on Ampyra, but my co-pay was subsidized by Acorda, the company that makes Ampyra, and I was only paying $40 a month. That stops once you're on Medicare, and I didn't want to shell out $5000 a year under part D. I switched to 4-AP, basically the generic of Ampyra, and instead of taking 2 pills a day, 12 hours apart, I'm now taking 1 pill, every three hours. My yearly cost is under $600. However, if your other two prescriptions aren't available as generics, you might just want to bite the bullet and pay the $5000 a year. That's the max you'll have to pay.

I recommend the "ehealthmedicareplans" website for different plans. If you have a Costco in your area, you can go through the pharmacy page (right hand column) online to reach them or just go directly to their website. It is very easy to use, and you can compare plans. I found the governmental medicare site a total disaster! Stay away from Medicare Advantage since you have a preexisting condition. I purchased both my supplemental and part D through this site, and the people they connect you with are very knowledgeable and helpful. Just make sure you enter your prescriptions before you start comparing plans to make sure they are in the "formulary", a new term you'll need to know. Oh yeah, and make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page to see "all plans". They highlight some on the 1st page, but you need to see them all.

Good luck! Hope this is helpful. I've gone from almost $13000 year to less than $3000.
                d

It's my understanding that Medicare Advantage Plans do no discriminate against patients with preexisting conditions. I believe Medigap insurance could be an issue.

Medicare defines a pre-existing condition as any health condition or disability that you have prior to the coverage start date for a new insurance plan. If you have Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage, you are generally covered for all Medicare benefits even if you have a pre-existing condition or disability. However, if you’re enrolled in a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan or have end-stage renal disease (ESRD), there are some exceptions

Comment

Working...
                X