Rituxan on BCBSIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rituxan on BCBSIL

My neuros have finally decided that Tecfidera isn't working for me. No side effects but one enlarged lesion in two years.
    They originally pushed for lemtrada or ocrelizumab.
    Lemtrada scares me and ocrelizumab isnt currently available.
    They ocrelizumab should be available by july 2017.

I suggested rituxan, they agreed.
    The only issue is getting rituxan approved through my insurance. They seemed confident they could get it approved.
    As my neuros call it I have "failed" on avonex, copaxone, rebif, tysabri, gilenya and tecfidera.

I have BCBS of Illinois.

Does anybody on here use rituxan and have BCBS of Illinois?

rituxan

I have had rituxan for 3.5 years. bcbs california denies coverage every 6 months. Instead, I receive this med at a cancer hospital and insurance covers that, but more expensive than a copay.

charles

Comment

Sounds like my story

My Neuro and I are just getting geared up for a go at Rituxin... Rebif wasn't working and since I'm JC+ they weren't wild about Tysabri, so I went on Tecfidara 2+ years ago.

At first we were tickled to death with no side effects and also seemed to be working. My last MRI has to sizeable lesions that had been active since my last MRI and so the search began again.

I have BCBS of Nebraska and they didn't even bat an eye at the preauthorization... I'm real curious to know if there is any issues I need to be aware of, any great success stories, etc... I'm not scared, but I do like to be informed.

Greg

Comment

I have been on rituxan for about 4 years.

I have a very full history of taking meds and that seems to help insurance companies approve rituxan. Failure of accepted meds.

Everyone I know gets it at an infusion center...most people have cancer but many use chemo for other ailments.

I do not have any bad reactions and do have an obvious and real benefit. You can see it when the rituxan wears off. So we schedule it to prevent any 'down times'. I still have many MS difficulties...this is not a cure. But, I am maintaining an active schedule. I have a small farm and also greenhouses. I have reduced the variety I am growing but I am still farming and that is life.
        "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Anybody with Federal Employee BCBS?

I've failed on every drug, and my doctor and I talked about Lemtrada and Rituxan. I can't get comfortable with all the possible side effects of Lemtrada. The thought of potentially developing another autoimmune disease, along with all the other possible side effects scares me. My insurance already turned me down for Rituxan, so it's being appealed. I just need to figure out if I should wait for the Rituxan, bite the bullet with Lemtrada, or wait for Ocrevus.

Comment

pballer76,
            I failed Tecfidera and I just finished the Lemtrada infusion course. I will know that Lemtrada did as advertised when I have my next MRI ! Don't be afraid of Lemtrada. I know there can be negative side effects . Stay positive. Goood luck

Comment

Working...
            X