Ativan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ativan

I've been taking Ativan off and on for about 10 years for anxiety and to help sleep. My neurologist suddenly is refusing to refill the prescription due to "policy changes." I don't mind coming off of the medication but I'm concerned about withdrawal. Shouldn't they lower the dose first and then discontinue? They have been prescribing it since 2012.

Hi Kat:

You said you've been taking Ativan "on and off." Depending on what that "off" was like, you may have already experienced what stopping Ativan will be like for you. The weaning-off period is most important for people who take the med regularly. What did your neuro say about a wind-down period?

Comment

I emailed this info to my Neuro after talking it over with a friend. They are giving me
      a similar medication and a weaning schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
        I emailed this info to my Neuro after talking it over with a friend. They are giving me
        a similar medication and a weaning schedule.
        How did you make out with changing meds? Are you still on an anti-anxiety Rx? Hopefully all is well.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Kathy!

The doctor placed me on Klonopin for weaning and Trazodone. I've adjusted great to the Klonopin and am almost completely off of it. The Trazodone made my heart rate go up too high. I'm not sure about what to use for anxiety at this point. I just don't tolerate some meds very well. Thanks for asking!

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
            Hi Kathy!

The doctor placed me on Klonopin for weaning and Trazodone. I've adjusted great to the Klonopin and am almost completely off of it. The Trazodone made my heart rate go up too high. I'm not sure about what to use for anxiety at this point. I just don't tolerate some meds very well. Thanks for asking!
            If you are starting to make the move away from meds for anxiety, I suggest you read "A Mind of Your Own" by Kelly Brogan (it might say it is about depression, but it really relates to all kinds of states of being!!)

In terms of what to use to replace the meds, I suggest you find a really good naturopath. Some people find essential oils work for them, meditation, diet changes etc. It really depends on the person, though. But I really recommend that book!

Comment

Working...
            X