EBV and HERV link to MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBV and HERV link to MS

it seems like I have been reading quite a few articles on the web recently that link EBV and HERV to MS. The articles seem to make good arguments. Does anyone have any comments ?

EBV is a herpes virus capable of activating HERVs (human endogenous retroviruses). The study below found that EBV activates two HERVs, one called MSRV (MS associated retrovirus) and another, ERVW-1. Both are major players in MS.

I believe there is strong evidence that EBV is the initial trigger for MS although MS may occur years after first exposure to EBV. I believe EBV activates MSRV and MSRV plays the central role in MS disease activity.

Quotes from the study below…

“Direct parallelisms were observed between MSRV positivity/load (in blood, spinal fluid, brain samples) and MS temporal and clinical stages, as well as active/remission phases…"

My interpretation... MSRV viral load parallels disease activity, or more virus equals more MS activity and less virus equals less disease activity.

"...moreover MSRV positivity of spinal fluids increased with MS duration…”

My interpretation... MSRV viral load increased over time.

“When we monitored MS patients receiving treatment, a major reduction of (...MSRV) was detected in patients undergoing efficacious, current therapies.” End Quote.

My interpretation... when MSRV decreased patients were remarked as having “efficacious therapy”.

It is quite possible that EBV does not play an active role in MS after activating MSRV. But once MSRV is activated it plays a direct role and I think that is clear from the selected quotes.

Interestingly, there is a drug under development for treating MSRV called GNbAC1. A small phase 2 trial was reported at the recent AAN meeting but I know little more than it was found to be safe.

So we have two points of assault on MSRV, the Charcot Project and this new drug, GNbAC1. I totally believe there will be an incredible breakthrough in treating MS by killing disease causing HERVs like MSRV.

I can hardly wait for what I believe to be the inevitable breakthrough... anti-viral therapy to treat MS will be tremendously effective, IMO.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3827255/

Comment

Thanks Myoak. You have stated clearly the thoughts that I have been developing through my web searches. I have read something that MSers in Japan had good success with treatments of an HIV therapy. I believe there is successful treatment, in the future, using antiviral drugs. I hope that it comes soon. Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X