Anyone else feel "Crazy" on neurontin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else feel "Crazy" on neurontin?

I was on neurontin 200 mg for awhile and then was moved up to 400 mg. my nerve pain was beginning to get out of control. Anyways pretty soon after the increase I felt like a zombie and was almost completely unable to function and I also started getting really depressed, like suicidal depressed. I went back to my doc because I couldn't handle it so they upped one of my mental health meds. It didn't help and it actually felt like my nerve pain became worse. So after another week they took me off neurontin all together. Now I'm stuck with the nerve pain and saying my catch phrase all day long,"owe, ***" It say it so much because I just can't do anything else lol.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with neurontin? Lyrica also has bad side effects for me so does anyone know of anything else that would help with extreme nerve pain?

For me, even 900mg of neurontin does not appear to have any side effects (but - except for RLS - it doesn't help very much, either).
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

One of my good friends ended up feeling suicidally depressed when she hit 900mg of neurontin. So you're not the only one who has had that happen.

I'm prescribed 300mg 3x a day, but I don't usually end up taking the third dose. I have crazy hours (I work overnights), and I generally just take one at the beginning of my "day", and the other two I decide if I need later on. If I start having an ache on the side of my head (I take it for trigeminal neuralgia), then I take one. But I average 600mg a day.

For me, neurontin no longer knocks me out but I frequently feel like I'm drunk. It's very weird. I don't feel like my judgement is affected, but I feel dizzy but somehow not dizzy and end up feeling emotionally....strange. Like giggly almost. It's weird. I don't know how to describe it.

I don't know how effective it is for nerve pain, but I have heard of medication like Lamictal being used. I started out trying that but I don't tolerate meds well and because I was stuck at 50mg, I ended up just taking Neurontin in order to keep the pain away. My neurologist said it might work though. I don't honestly know.

Comment

Yes! I take 900 mg in the evening because I cannot tolerate it during the daytime. This way I can 'sleep it off', but if I wake up in the middle of the night, I stumble around like I'm drunk and bump into the walls, etc. It's an awful drug that makes me feel weird (but boy does that dose knock me out so I have no trouble sleeping at night). Without it tho I wouldn't be able feel my feet. I consider it a necessary evil

Comment

Yep

Don't know if 'crazy' is the word I'd use, but I can't take the stuff. I'm pretty sensitive to drugs period, but this one is a definite NO for me.
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I can't take gabapentin either. I've tried it three times now (out of desperation, because it works for muscle twitching). This last time doctor said no more. It causes my blood pressure to fall very quickly, and a really fast heart rate for 6 hours after each pill, plus I feel like I have a mouth full of marbles talking.

First two symptoms happen in less than 1% of the population ... we should all buy lottery tickets .

I have not found something to replace it at this point, sorry.

Comment

Neurontin; I took it in the late '90's and it didn't seem to do anything, so I quit it.

Now that I think about it, maybe that is why I am so crazy. It sure is nice to figure out why.

Kidding aside, I've read posts of people it helps and now TV commercials for birth defects from it. Glad I am 60. fed

Comment

I was up to 3,600 mg/day, and yes, when trying to talk, I would often sound like a human dial tone and my legs were very wobbly. I always described it as feeling sloshy. And even with a dose that high, it didn't do a thing for my neuropathic pain.
                PPMS
                Dx 07/13

Comment

In short, yes, I do feel a little crazy on neurontin. That's why I can only take it at nite. Some people, though, can handle massive doses, and have no problem.

Comment

Right after I take it, mostly the afternoon dose, I feel like I am talking outside myself and not making sense.

I take 1500 mg / day, split among three times. I was taking 1800 mg, but dropped one of the afternoon tablets to help me function better.

I feel so groggy and unable to concentrate on it. It helps the pain, yes, but these side effects are making me v unhappy. I have been on it for some months now, so I don't think it's going to get better. And, the pain in my foot and leg seems to be getting worse, so I really don't know what to do ... maybe time to ask about another medication. Lyrica?

Comment

It really sucks because I've tried Lyrica too with similar side affects plus a few extra trolling ones that affected my vision and ability to drive. I guess my tolerance for this class of drug is non existent. I am really upset about it because my doctors haven't suggested any other options so I'm just stuck with the pain.

Comment

other meds

Some have used tegretal and other anti seizure medicines, ask your doctor.

Also, Cymbalta, an antidepressant, also helps with nerve damage.

If it bothering you bad enough I would keep trying.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Oh man cymbalta made me go officially crazy. I had these horrible dreams, I can't even mention what they were about. I wrote about 15 letters about it, put them in envelopes and handed them out to strangers in front of the grocery store. I have never had a psychotic break or anything ever, so this scared me real bad. It was like someone else took over my body. My rheumatologist said she only had two other patients react that way. Scary

Comment

Oh Yeah

I felt surreal on it and every time I closed my eyes I saw the strangest images. Sorry that happened to you; that drug works well for some people and for othersit makes things worse. I am ultra sensitive to medication and often will have paradoxical reactions--- so, I make sure that every doctor I see knows about past reactions. I think it would be in your best interest if you did the same. Hang in there and take solace in that it's not "just you."
                            Shalom, Suzanne
                            You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X