Vein Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vein Problem

I have been receiving monthly infusions for four years. I have one vein that nuses are able to hit. At the last infusion they could not because they said it was scarred. They tried 5 other veins before hitting somewhere around the good one. Nurses mentioned lifting 2 lb weights. Can the MS community give me their insight and experience with this problem, please. Thanks

Hi Prissy,

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a port for venous access. You should ask your neuro about it. Here's a link for you http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000491.htm

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Prissy,

I am only 18 months into infusion. Are they having trouble finding veins to use? I have never heard of the 2lb weights, but I am a veiny person...scary when they get excited when they see your veins. That being said, I am a hard stick due to scarring over the years from other medical treatments.

I have been told to make sure I stay hydrated and drink lots of water all month, not just the few days before. They had trouble with hands one day, so I told them they could use a forearm vein. For two hours, I could handle and not worrying about knocking it out. Do the only use one site or could they use others, but just don't?
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Prissy,

I am only 18 months into infusion. Are they having trouble finding veins to use? I have never heard of the 2lb weights, but I am a veiny person...scary when they get excited when they see your veins. That being said, I am a hard stick due to scarring over the years from other medical treatments.

I have been told to make sure I stay hydrated and drink lots of water all month, not just the few days before. They had trouble with hands one day, so I told them they could use a forearm vein. For two hours, I could handle and not worrying about knocking it out. Do they only use one site or could they use others, but just don't?
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Definitely stay hydrated daily, not just before your infusions. And the weights do help! Lifting 2 lb weights a few times a week can help your veins be easier to get at.

I get a lot of blood work done and used to be a "hard stick" until taking the advice of my nurses. Now they always get it on the first try.
          Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
          Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
          Gilenya since 11/2014.
          Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
          EDSS 3.

Comment

I second the port recommendation!

I have always had difficult veins (small, deep & 'runaway'), and on my first day of chemotherapy back in '96 the nurse made me an appointment to get a port. Fortunately, I only needed it for 4 months, but it was such a huge help with the infusions that I didn't mind having it put in (and taken out after I didn't heed it any more).

If I ever need monthly infusions I know I'll ask for a new port...
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I was on tysabri for about 4.5 years, what I have learned to do is cut out the caffeine and drink water or gatorade a few days before an infusion and I always have them use warm towels to warm up my arms. I usually just tell them to do in in the hand

Comment

Working...
              X