AMPYRA UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMPYRA UPDATE

So, I recently started, 12/17/2013, Ampyra. After a year of my doctor pushing this drug on me, I finally decided to give in, as I am walking so bad now and have such a weak arm.

I started with 10mg twice a day, which is the regular dosage prescribed. I take my pills at 7:15am and 7:15pm, making sure I am always 12 hours apart from each dose. I have now taken 7 pills and I have had no side effects. Sometimes I get a little chest discomfort, back pain, and headaches, but I always got those symptoms previously, so who knows if it's from the Ampyra.

If so, definitely tolerable. I was a little worried about the chance of seizures at first, but I try not to read into all the side effects now, and the less you worry, the less likely something is going to happen. I haven't felt too much of an effect yet, but maybe my hand gets a little stronger, which I notice while I'm typing.

I feel a tiny bit better when I take my next dose. I was able to wiggle my toes on my right foot this morning. So, I can't say it's not working and I'm willing to stick with it, as I don't have any side effects. When you read about others' side effects, they mention burning skin, rapid heart rates, migraines, dizziness, major nausea. I haven't had any of these symptoms.

Sometimes I wonder how much these symptoms people are reporting are actually from the drug and actually from their MS. I've learned to not read the side effects more than once just to be aware, but to not get excited about it. Keep calm, take it at the right intervals, and think positive.

You get two free months of Ampyra, then you must file with your insurance. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Everything will work out by the grace of God, like it always does. If you have a weak walk and weak arms/hands, try it out. I wish I would have done so sooner.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I've been on Ampyra 3.5 years, and unfortunately my walking has continued its negative progression. This is just a function of MS.

I recently heard a webinar where the doctor opened my eyes when he said that even with progression, Ampyra still is a positive medication. It will help an individual with leg movement even if a rollator is used. He also felt that Ampyra helps with other MS symptoms, but since a walking test is used for comparison, other positive indicators aren't considered.

For me with a $40 copay and no side effects, it's an easy medication to stay on. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
    X