Mycophenolate Mofetil (CellCept)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mycophenolate Mofetil (CellCept)

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm being investigated for MS - had my first neurology appointment last week and I'm due to have the brain and spine MRI, evoked potentials and spine tap.

I'm also a lupus SLE sufferer. I have been on CellCept (an immunosuppressive) for lupus for few months now and many of the neuro symptoms have improved dramatically.

I am aware that some drugs used in lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, such as Methrotraxate, Azathioprine and Rituxan, are also used sometimes in MS.

Have you been prescribed CellCept for MS?

Just thinking of future, the neurologist was quite convinced the tests will show MS

My neurologist routinely prescribes Cellcept for her MS patients. (I tried it a few years ago but I couldn't tolerate the side effects.) If you are already on Cellcept for lupus you probably won't be prescribed a separate disease modifying medicine for MS if you are diagnosed with it because you are already on a powerful immunosuppressant.

The exception is Copaxone which is the only MS medicine that doesn't interfere much with the immune system so won't over suppress you. But there have been other studies that showed that people with MS who were on 2 medicines didn't do any better than people who were taking 1 so there still might not be any reason for you to start on a separate MS medicine if you are diagnosed.

Comment

Working...
    X