BlueGirrafe and others: spasticity damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BlueGirrafe and others: spasticity damage

Bluegirrafe, you mentioned damage from spasticity in your response to someone's question about Baclofen. I've been diagnosed since 2010, and my spasticity is getting worse. My legs are definitely weaker along with my left arm, but I attribute this and the pain to muscle relaxant side effects and damage from a flare a couple of years ago. I never really thought about spasticity causing damage, though it makes sense now that I do think about it. Will you tell me how spasticity has caused damage for you?

Also will you explain leg contractures? Night before last I woke around midnight with my legs drawn up almost to my chest. It didn't hurt so much as it was very uncomfortable, maybe a bit achy. I made myself lie on my stomach so that my legs had to be straightened out, but that was intolerable and I had to get up and take Diazepam. Yesterday my thigh muscles were so sore.
    Portia

Hi Portia,

Sorry to hear about your increased spasticity. Trying to lay so your legs were stretched out was a good thing, but sorry it became intolerable.

From what I understand, damage occurs from spasticity when it leads to contractures. If a muscle or ligament doesn't stretch out, they will eventually shorten. Then, after a while, the shortened muscle/ ligament can no longer be stretched out and the joint becomes fixed in the contracture.

When my hand closed into a fist during a flare a few years ago, I wore a splint that the hospital had made for me to prevent getting contractures in my fingers. I knew someone who had MS whose hand became a permanent fist because of them. Recently, I experienced a contracture in one knee. It was very painful when I tried to stand up.

If you google contractures in ms, a lot of information comes up. Effective management of spasticity, stretching, and bracing can help prevent contractures. I'm not surprised your legs didn't hurt much when your knees were in the contracture, it's stretching them back out from the contracture that can be painful. At least that's been my experience. Your sore thighs were a reminder you had to stretch them out the night before (just in case you forgot ).

Besides, hopefully, finding pharmacological management of your spasticity, I'd recommend physical therapy. A therapist can stretch you out, identify the places you have tightness (it may be more than you are aware of), and teach you exercises to stretch/ loosen muscles.

Here's the link to the National MS Society that gives information about spasticity and it's management: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

I really hope you find a way to manage your spasticity. I hope you'll keep us posted.

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Portai,
      Kimba22 explained contractures well.

I was diagnosed in 1998 and did well till the last 4-5 years. I had balance issues, leg stiffness and spasms. I fought through and kept exercising and walking as best I could. I used a forearm crutch and then a walker to keep mobile. It got worse to where I remember when I stood up after sitting, I had to stand and stretch before I could start moving. My walks got shorter and I was very weak in the legs after riding a recumbent bike. The spasms were initially at night in bed but then happened throughout the day and were very painful.

I even got X-rays as I thought I had some kind injury that was causing me pain in my lower back/behind area.

I did physical therapy, but the spasms limited my stretching.

It is good you laid on your stomach to let your legs stretch. That is what I do with my PT as it is the best way she can push my legs down for a stretch.

You can also check into 'dynasplints' that are a type of braces that you put on your legs (with Velcro closures) at night. I got fitted for them when I was in rehab after I had the baclofen pump surgery.

It's good to address it with your doctor before it get bad.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
      X