Gilenya vs Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya vs Tecfidera

To those of you who are on oral meds, what made you choose one over the other? My neuro and I discussed that it looked like Avonex is failing me, and she mentioned oral meds to me, but she didn't go over any specifics yet because she's waiting to look at all my test results before looking at new options.

My MS is pretty active and it really would be a good move to put me on something that has better than a 30% reduction rate. I've read that a lot of people have some nasty side effects when starting Tecfidera, but it also sounds like it goes away with time. I can deal with minor things that are only temporary, but in my case right now, I'm still suffering from some pretty nasty headaches with Avonex that no amount of Naproxen will take away at times.

I know the best thing will be for me to talk to my dr, but I'd like to know things that she might not tell me that I'd find out from people who actually use the meds.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

For each person there is a "better" drug that they will individual respond best to. With each of these drugs there are both pros and cons to them. Since both drugs are fairly new we are still building the knowledge base through both clinical trials and real world patient usage. Statistically, both drugs are effective (in trials) with a small mathematical advantage going to Tecfidera. Gilenya and Tecfidera appear to have comparable effectiveness when treating MS.

From a side effect standpoint, these forums would certainly spook me about Tecfidera when compared with Gilenya. The immediate, short-term side effects of Tecfidera are palpable and obvious. There is no doubt you are flushing or having GI problems or whatever. They may even be extreme for some people, but are generally manageable and lessen over time to become completely tolerable. The initial dose and when you increase the dose to 240 seem to be days with increased side effects. The long term effects of the drug are unknown, but we have a general idea based on the Fumaderm safety profile of over 180,000 patient years.

The initial dose of Gilenya requires in-person monitoring. Not because you may "flush" or have GI problems, but because in rare situations it could be life-threatening. I agree for most people the day-to-day side effects are more pleasant. The question remains what damage is being done to your body that you are unaware of. Gilenya has a lesser known long term safety profile, but we do know in rare cases can have severe side effects.

For me, I'll trade the palpable daily side effects of Tecfidera over the potential long term side effects of Gilenya. This may eventually become a "ford" vs "chevy" debate, but I'll leave you with links to side effects for each drug and let you decide.

Gilenya
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-1546...l&pagenumber=6

Tecfidera
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-1638...2&pagenumber=6

Comment

I failed spectacularly on Copaxone, and finally got to start Tecfidera 4 days ago. I am very excited and have not had any side effects so far.

I personally would much rather Tecfidera. I know that both Tec and Gilenya cut relapses by approx. half, but Gilenya had all sorts of potential scary side effects, while Tecfidera had only temporary and not frightening ones. I read as much as I possibly could on potential treatments before proceeding.

I hope you get coverage easily for whatever you chose!

Comment

Nearly died from the rebiff. Should have listened to my body long before when I felt like I was being poisioned. I took a break from that, then started tecfidera. I did the tecfidera 120mg 2x day for 1 week then 240 2x day after that but serious pains and again just really feeling ill.

( I think Im having pancreas problems). My bloodwork came back in the normal range however my platelet counts were up by 100. My eosinophils, basophils, and monocytes shifted up and my protein and urea nitrogen in blood went up. "these are shifts that have never appeared in my entire medical history of blood work" I dont even know if my doctor noticed since their technically in normal range.

My doctors put me on a break from it and will soon start again but slower. 1 a day 120mg for 2 weeks then. 1 a day 240mg for 2 weeks then 240mg 2x day the 5th week. I hope that goes better. I am never doing injections ever again. I cant tell that the ms drugs do anything. I still have attacks only difference is adding the illwell feeling caused by meds..... Good luck everyone

Comment

I just started taking Tec on Saturday ( made the switch from Copax ). With the first dose I did experience the "flushing" ,my hubby told me " I still think you're beautiful tomato face" if that gives you an idea! Lol. I was also extremely itchy. This all came and went within 20 minutes. I did not have the same defect with the second dose, though I took a Benadryl with it. Yesterday no side effects. Today hours after taking it I did have a flushing incident. Have not yet taken my evening dose. All in all though, not terrible.

Comment

Neuro leaned towards Tec for me because I have a fatty liver and Tec is not removed via the liver like most drugs.
            Well that and the absence of side effects for most.
            1995-symptoms with no cause
            2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
            2000/1-started Avonex
            2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
            Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Working...
            X