Long term effects of meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term effects of meds

I wonder if any of the meds I take can cause negative effects on bladder or bowel function. I take baclofen, diazepam, and gabapentin. Effect on bladder function is not listed as a side effect of any of these, but taken long term, could they have the potential to cause incontinence or other bladder issues?
    Portia

Do you have any reason to be concerned, or is that your anxiety point? I was worried about losing control as well when first diagnosed. I'm not sure why I picked up on that issue, but let's just say I carried a load of worry about it.

I think if it's not on the label, it's generally not a side effect, since they are generally so thorough that they list sleepiness and insomnia as side effects and all the meds you list are old and well-tested.

That said, baclofen and diazepam both relax certain muscles, so if you're having any difficulties, you should speak with your doctor.

Comment

Yes, it seems that I've begun having very minor and sporadic bladder issues. I guess I worry that long term use and higher dosages of the muscle relaxants could be detrimental as well as beneficial. Looking for any reason not to take meds, haha. I'll have to bring it up to my neuro team next time I see them.
      Portia

Comment

I am also a person who love to run away from medicines and finding reasons not to take them , but on a serious note this is not going to be beneficial. I think that get a control on your anxiety and start the treatment seriously.

Comment

After looking at many web pages recently, I came across one remark that medicines for spasticity might interfere with normal bladder function. Could not find any details however.

I did enjoy a You Tube video by a San Antonio urologist on MS and bladder function.

Comment

Working...
          X