Alternative to steroid trearment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to steroid trearment?

I remember reading on here awhile ago, at least I think it was here, about an alternative to steroids called ATCH or something close to that. There was also an article about how insurance companies didn't want to pay for it because it is so expensive.

I ask because I've been in the hospital twice in two weeks. The first time for ivsm for a relapse. The second because the steroids sent my liver into acute toxicity, so its obvious I can't tolerate the steroids, or maybe just not dexamethasone.

If you could tell me the proper name of the drug so I can research it. And if you've ever taken it, how did it work for you?

Hi,
    The name of the drug that I believe you are asking about is ACHTAR.

Many are now trying it as an alternative to IVSM. I personally have not used it, but here is their website, they have a spot dedicated to MS relapses.

Good luck - hope this helps.
    http://www.acthar.com/

Comment

It's called adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). The brand name is Acthar gel. Like other brand name drugs it has a website: www.acthar.com.

Comment

Hi football-mom,

ACTH has been around since the 70s. It has been reformulated and is now known as H.P. Acthar Gel and carries a high price for insurance companies.

Here is more information about H.P. Acther Gel:
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...cth/index.aspx
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Acthar

I just took my last shot of acthar today (14day)

So far comparing it to IV solu medrol it has had many more side effects. For me. Still too early to really say how I am going to recover, will keep posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrichy2003 View Post
              So far comparing it to IV solu medrol it has had many more side effects. For me. Still too early to really say how I am going to recover, will keep posted.
              What side effects? Solumedrol is NASTY, just curious.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Acthar side effects

Starting day 6 of 14 shots daily issues of surging water retention and swelling over arms feet hands legs face neck and torso ranging in 15 lb weight swing or more. Vision issues ringing in ears and overall pain.

Last shot yesterday and getting worse each day so far extreme fatigue and insomnia rounds haven't slept more than 2 hours at a time in over a week. Reported all and just resting as much as can and waiting it out for now.

The metallic taste is yucky and tastes are all messed up.... Just hoping it starts settling down soon. Blood was drawn yesterday and 2 recent liver function tests have been done see neuro again next week. So at this point unless they call on some of the tests I will see them next week unless this gets even worse.......

Comment

Working...
                X