IVIg Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVIg Summary

The term “IVIg” is derived from IV for Intravenous (delivery mechanism) + Ig for Immunoglobulins.

What is an Immunoglobulin
    Immunoglobulins are created by white blood cells when your immune system is activated.
    - something triggers your immune system
    - white blood cells are activated to fight the trigger (antigen)
    - white blood cells secrete a particular protein (immunoglobulin)

Immunoglobulins are extracted from 1000s of blood donors condensed and then given via IV. IVIg is used to treat patients with compromised immune systems and do not create enough antibodies. Patients with insufficient antibodies are more prone to getting infections others would be able to fight off. Exactly how IVIg works is subject to debate, but the increase in antibody presence seems to normalize your immune system.

IVIg & Multiple Sclerosis
    IVIg testing on Multiple Sclerosis(MS) patients has not been extensive. The effectiveness of IVIg for both RRMS and PPMS/SPMS patients is debated. IVIg is not FDA approved for the treatment of MS so it is limited to "off-label" uses in specific cases where other traditional treatments have failed.Due to the high expense (annual costs easily reach $120,000 USD), insurance companies are unlikely to approve IVIg without special justification from a neurologist.

Most people do rather well on IVIG and consider it their “superman juice.” IVIg is normally administered every 4 weeks with the initial dose is often straddled across 2-days. Each dose may take from 4-8 hours depending on your dose and infusion rate. After you begin the medication a different schedule may become necessary based on your reaction to the medication. Some people have a hard time dealing with side effects and those need to be handled on an individual basis.

Before scheduling at an infusion center find out if your insurance company will cover in-home therapy. Life will be much easier this way.

Prior to Your Infusion
    Your infusion will last for several hours so preplanning can greatly increase your comfort. You should contact the infusion center and get as much information as possible beforehand. They may have an information sheet or general guidelines to make your procedure go more smoothly.
    • Premedicate as directed by your neurologist or the infusion center and always arrive hydrated. You should receive Pre & Post medication instructions prior during the scheduling process. They should also direct you about your current medications and which ones you should or should not take prior to your infusion.
    • Each infusion center is slightly different from each other with specific rules and procedures. Where I go they have an extensive book & DVD, DVD players, WiFI, snacks and drinks.
    • Wear comfortable clothing and take a blanket or layers of clothing that you can remove/put on to stay comfortable. I suggest you leave jewelry and valuables at home. Consider taking a heating pad in case your arm starts "freezing" during the infusion.
    • Ask infusion center if you can bring a friend along or have your friend take you. Take someone that has a calming presence though. You may not feel like driving after your infusion so a friend can really make a difference. If they cannot stay the entire time maybe they can drop you off and pick you up later.
    • Ensure you will have food provided or take something with you, especially if you have specific dietary needs. The place I go will have food delivered for me (but not for a friend).
    • Bring something to entertain you, but try not to become a nuisance to other patients. A book, crossword puzzle, tablet computer or knitting kit usually works well. Other people sleep the entire time they are there.

The actual procedure
    Upon arriving to your infusion center you will have the usual paperwork to complete, will probably be weighed-in and taken to your recliner. Your current weight is important since the amount of IVIg you receive is directly related to your weight. The nurse will ask you questions about premedicating, your vitals will be taken then an IV will be started. The first hour the machine should calibrate flow rate to how fast your body will accept the fluid. If the flow rate is too fast you will probably get a headache. There is absolutely no reason to rush the flow rate as the headaches are not worth it.

If they offer fluids or steroids to begin with I always accept them. They will help the absorption rate and how well your body will tolerate the IVIg. Make a note of the brand of IVIG they are using. If you have bad reactions you can switch brands. If they give you a choice ask for something preservative free to being with.

Side Effects
    A headache is probably the most common side effect and can run from mild to severe. You may run a fever and have a stiff neck during or after the infusion. My infusion center checks my temperature and vitals every 30 minutes to monitor for changes. You may feel flu-like symptoms or fatigued for up to 48 hours after the infusion. A more significant reaction is feeling like you got hit by a train. You will also be monitored for allergic reactions during the infusion. Sorry, it happens. A small percentage of patients may develop aseptic meningitis which is less than pleasant.

To Reduce Common Side Effects
    To reduce common side effects your infusion center may try:
    • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate before, during and after. IVIg is rather thick and if you are hydrated it will help the absorption of the medication.
    • Try to get a full nights rest before and after your infusion.
    • Pre- and post- medicate as directed.
    • A lower initial dose to see how your body responds. Subsequent infusion amounts will generally be based on your current weight.
    • A slower infusion rate can reduce or prevent headaches.
    • Additional fluids or steroids may be run along with your IVIg

If possible, maintain a light schedule the day after your infusion so your body can recover. You may feel like you’ve been hit by a train for a day or two or ten(probably not 10).

Setting Realistic Expectations
    It's very important that your expectations are set properly for your IVIG therapy. Too often people quit for the wrong reasons. Ask the staff what to expect afterwards and under what conditions you should seek medical assistance. Please keep in mind that starting IVIG is starting a PROCESS. It may take several weeks or several months before any benefits are realized. You will need to spend hours and hours in an infusion center.

Sounds like a hassle, why even consider it???

Because IVIG is one of the FEW treatments we have that can actually help us feel better. Some of the benefits may include increased energy, improved cognitive ability, and an overall reduction in MS symptoms

Talk to your neurologist, talk to other patients. Read up about IVIG as it isn’t a treatment to be taken lightly. As cumbersome as it sounds, you may walk into a room and find HAPPY patients because they are getting a treatment that improves their quality of life.

Thank you for posting this. I will be starting this soon and had questions you just answered.

I feel better knowing the process involved.

Comment

Marco where did you copy that information from?

Comment

i have to ask my doc about this. i want to try this since nothing else seems to help me feel better. why not

Comment

Marco, I will be starting IVIG soon. They have told me that it will be given over 2 days and that it contains sucrose as a preservative. Do you know if this is a brand that is good to start with?

Comment

LilStep,
            All the brands have the same therapeutic benefit and variances are minor. Differences between brands are mostly limited to sugar and sodium levels, antibody strength and whether the brand has preservatives. Here's a small cheat sheet for comparison: http://www.medprorx.com/forms/MedProRx_IVIg_chart.pdf
            I don't know anyone that has taken the powdered form.

In 2 years, I took 5 different brands and responded about the same to all of them. I found the infusion speed determined how well I would handle the medication (the slower the better). Just be honest with the nurses and they'll take care of you. Infusion nurses will monitor you the entire time checking in with you and logging your vitals.

Your first dose is "capped" so they'll do it over 2 days to give you the maximum dose. The slower infusion rate will minimize headaches and help determine if you are having any adverse reactions. After your initial dose, they'll weigh you before each infusion and then give you medication based on your weight.

I really hope you do well with IVIg. It really is amazing to walk into a room with everyone happy to be hooked up and getting their therapy. Please keep us informed on how your treatment goes.

Comment

Had my IV treatment today. They started me on Curamin it's a powder form. So far I feel OK. Had a little bit of a headache and they slowed it down a bit. It took a total of 5 hrs. Currently I feel a little achy.
              Hopefully tomorrow will be just as good.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Drink a lot of water and try to rest up. If they suggested you medicate tonight or tomorrow please do so. I'm glad your first dose went pretty well and they slowed down your rate.

I wish you well ...

Comment

My IVIG Experience

I found this board while looking for some info about using IVIG while on Tecfidera which I started a few days ago. After reading through this board, I felt compelled to share my experience with IVIG in hopes that it may help someone.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2009, but my neurologist says it seems as though I probably had it since 2004. I began Betaseron injections immediately. I had Solumedrol infusions around that time which did nothing for my MS symptoms, but gave me all of the horrible side effects associated with steroids.

In 2010, I had 5 days of IVIG infusions to address a flare up. I felt wonderful after that and continued with Betaseron as my DMD. Things were going smoothly until this summer when I had a flare up that would not quit. My MRI in July showed new and active lesions so my neurologist and I decided to switch from Betaseron to Tecfidera.

Since that would take a while to get approved/started, we decided to do another 5 day IVIG infusion. I started that on 9/10/13 and on 9/20/13 I felt wonderful. No weakness, no imbalance (which is my worst symptom since I have a "black hole" in the area of my brain that controls balance) and no fatigue.

While things were going well, I received my starter kit of Tecfidera and began taking it on 10/25/13. The next day, I began having a flare up which is still going strong. It is not the flushing and GI issues that are expected with Tecfidera, but rather the imbalance, weakness/numbness and cognitive fog that I have previously had. So, I asked my Neurologist's nurse if I can do IVIG while on Tecfidera and she is looking into it.

I can't find any info online but I ran into this board and thought I would share some of my tips for IVIG. When I have IVIG, I always drink plenty of water. When I didn't, I had very dark urine which scared me into thinking something was wrong with my kidneys. My neuro nurse set me straight on that. I am supposed to drink up to 3 quarts of water a day, during and directly after IVIG infusions. The dark urine ended a few days after I hydrated myself properly.

I also found out the first time that it is common to get a headache on the 2nd or 3rd night of the 5 day course which lasts about 24 hours. This is not a regular headache, but the kind that makes you feel as though something is very wrong and like you have to go straight to the ER. Since I expected this to happen, I was prepared. I always premedicate with 2 Benadryl and 2 Tylenol extra strength (500 mg each) before my infusions. Premedicating helps, but does not completely prevent the headache.

In my experience, I felt worse before I felt better. I did not feel the effects until 10 days after the first infusion but it was well worth it. Now if I can only take it while on Tecfidera I think I will be in good shape. I hope my experience helps someone.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Well it happened. I developed the dreadful headache along with a fever. They had to stop the infusion half way through and give me fluids. They also medicated me with IV benedryl and gave me Tramedol. Sent me home and told me to rest. They said next month they are gonna have to slow infusion rate way down

This morning I have terrible body aches and leg spasms. I'm wondering how I'll be a week from now since I didn't get the full 2 day dose.

Comment

Working...
                    X