Medications for Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medications for Fatigue

I was recently prescribed Ritalin for my fatigue. Although it seems to mentally give me some energy (as in I have ideas about all the things I want to do), my body is not responding. I sit and stare at my desk for 30 minutes. This is doing nothing for my productivity. I can't seem to stay on task. I doubled the dose and I get a burst of energy for about an hour and then crash. My insurance will not cover Provigil. What works for you? I am so discouraged. I use to be such a great multi-tasker and I thrived on deadlines and being ahead of schedule.

what about MODAFINIL (provigil`s generic)? or amatadine?
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
      what about MODAFINIL (provigil`s generic)? or amatadine?
      It wouldn't cover the generic either I have an appointment on Wednesday, I am going to ask for something else.

Comment

You may have the right to appeal the insurance company's denial of Provigil (modafinil).

When I was denied, I found the journal article supporting use of modafinil in MS fatigue, gave that and a "sample letter" to my doctor. He sent it to the insurer to support my appeal, and I got modafinil covered.

Comment

My Dr. just prescribed amantadine for my fatigue. I'm taking 200mg a day but not noticing any real improvement in my fatigue. I'm a little leary to keep trying new medications, but i just don't know what else to do.
          Julie
          DX 11/9/11
          Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

Originally posted by amyrising View Post
            What works for you?
            Exercise.

I am unable to use any of the current treatments for fatigue as stimulants causes an increase of fatigue.

As hunterd mentioned, you could try Amantadine. It is an anti-viral medication that as been used "off label" for many years in trying to treat MS fatigue.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

After trying several, I found adderall best for me. Not extended release and I get the generic.

Admittedly, it does not always help but does more often than not and better than the other 4 meds I tried. They were provigil, amantadine, nuvigil, and I forget the name of the other one. I only used it a week or so, it was one of the ADD/ADHD meds.

It made me feel awful and kinda like you described, but cannot say if it was actually the same med without digging through the records.
              -d d
              current meds: naproxen, adderall, meclizine, lidoderm, baclofen, diazepam, hydrocodone/apap, evista, androderm, vitamin D, and Tecfidera

I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray.

Comment

I am in the same boat. I used to be on top of things and I could never procrastinate(I couldn't get things off my mind until I got them done). The fatigue has hit me hard. I've been on several things and just recently got adderall. Sometimes it does okay, other times my mind is just all over the place and I crash with an awful headache. I was initially given the samples of Provigil but after reading the prescribing information, I discovered that it could decrease the effectiveness of birth control so I decided against it but I'm starting to rethink that decision and give it a try.I can't even get my insurance to pay for the ADD meds so I'm unsure if I decided to do the Provigil if they would pay for it.

Have you ever been given samples to try? If not Maybe if you could get some to try and if they worked do what onlyairfare did and appeal the denial.

Sorry so long, just wanted to let you know I know how you feel and how frustrating it is, fatigue is by far my worst symptom so far! I hope you can find something that helps!
                Dx RR August 2013
                DMD Betaseron
                Nursing Student (RN)
                Mother to 1 year old

Comment

I started taking Vyvanse, and it is the best one yet for me. It is time released and the lowest 20mg dose lasts me all day. It doesn't give me nausea like many of the others did.
                  Take care, Wiz
                  RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Although everyone is different, I was surprised to find Nuvigil has helped me a lot. I take one pill (150 MG) at 10AM each day, and although I am a bit tired in the evening, I am no longer "zombie like" as my wife liked to call me...hahaha.

Comment

I tried Amantadine but had no success. I have the same issue with Provigil and no success with the appeal since it is not approved by the FDA for MS fatigue. Interesting the fact that they paid for Amantadjne off label use, but it was very cheap.

My neuro used to order double what I needed so the Rx lasted longer. As the dosage increased along with increase in cost, I started to order modafinil thru a Canadian pharmacy. I take 300mg each day and winds up being around $280 for 3month supply as opposed to the $600/month US pharmacy was going to charge me.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I just started Amantadine on Saturday on top of the 4-AP I take. So far I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Comment

I was given Effexor for mine; It just makes me sick and I can't even explain the odd feeling I get with it, so I don't take it.
                          ! fed

Comment

provigil/ nuvigil

My neuro prescribed Provigil but was denied b/c I had to try nuvigil first. I took the Nuvigil for about 3 weeks and noticed I fell a lot. At least once per day. I never fell quite as often. Once in awhile b/c I tripped but not like this. I stopped taking the Nuvigil and I haven't fallen since. I wonder!? Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Comment

There are a few inexpensive supplements you may want to try for MS-related fatigue:

Try taking 1200mg Malic Acid before breakfast and lunch. Malic Acid has been clinically trialled to reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia patients. Take a Magnesium supplement with the Malic Acid.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) also helps with fatigue and along with Acetyl L Carnitine (ALCAR) has been clinically trialed to be more effective than the drug Amantadine.

ALA helps your body more efficiently covert food energy into cellular energy. ALCAR protects and improves neuro-transmission. Try taking 300mg ALA along with 500mg ALCAR before breakfast and lunch as well.

Vitamin B12 lozenges will give you energy. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of vitamin D.

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) pretty much eliminates MS fatigue, however you'll need a prescription for that.

Lastly, Alpha Lipoic Acid is in clinical trial for secondary progressive MS and Malic Acid is a precursor to Fumaric Acid, which when refined, is "Fumaric Acid Esters" also known "Dimethyl Fumarate".

Dimethyl Fumarate is "Tecfidira".

Malic Acid may help reduce MS progression along the same lines as Dimethyl Fumarate, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X