Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need your in put. May stop C injections for oral meds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your in put. May stop C injections for oral meds.

I've been on C injections for 8 + years and running out of injection sties. My neuro suggestion I could try an oral medication.

We haven't decided which one at this time. I need to research whatever he decides as I know there are a lot of side effects. That concerns me a lot.

Just interested in others who have stops the injections for an oral medication and how they feel about it.

Thank you for any input you have. I do realize we are all different and can react differently to medications.

Thanks again.
    Be Well.

Lynn
    Lynn, Proud Gold Star Mom of
    Cpl Christopher W. Belchik
    KIA IRAQ August 22, 2004

I am in about the same position as you. My doc recommended Gilenya for me, because in his practice too many of the Tec users were stopping because of the stomach side effects.

He said that his Gilenya users typically have no day to day side effects, as long as the known issues (heart, macular edema) are tested for. I am in the process of getting insurance pre-approval. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I switched from Copaxone to Tecfidera in June. I asked my neuro about the pros/cons of the oral medications and then looked up some info on each of the drugs online.

I've been happy with my switch. Adjusting to a new drug is always unknown because you don't know which side effects you'll have and that was one of the great things about Copaxone. I wish you luck in making your decision.
      Lori
      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Hi Lynn,
        I can appreciate your question as many of us end up in the same situation. If you successfully transfer to any of the oral medications you will NEVER miss the injections. A you said, we all react differently to medications so you may have to try more than one of them until you find the one that works best for you.

Since, I do not know anyone that has been on all 3 oral medications we are left to speculate based on or own perspective and individual research. At that point, it seems you need to decide if you want the least serious potential side effects or the greatest potential benefit. Another data point to consider will be the out of pocket expenses for each drug. That should help you determine a starting point.

least side effects
        1. aubagio
        2. tecfidera
        3. gilenya

Tecfidera: many of the side effects are transient in nature and can be minimized using OTC or procedural changes to minimize them.
        Gileyna: fewer daily side effects, but more significant permanent damage with long-term use.

greatest potential benefit
        1. tecfidera
        2. gilenya
        3. aubagio

The effectiveness of aubagio is more inline with the injectibles than either gilenya or tecfidera. Both tecfidera and gilenya clearly outclass all injectible therapies based on clinical trial data.

For full disclosure, I am on tecfidera and I do have side effects (at times significant). Overall, I tolerate the drug well and I am glad to be taking the most effective pill available. If I had to change oral medications I would probably try aubagio before gilenya. Again, that is based on my research, tolerance for risk and risk assessment of each medication.

I just hope you have a successful change to an oral medication and never look back!

Comment

Thanks Marco

I've been on Betaseron 19 years and would love to switch to an oral med.....just afraid of the benefits not the side effects.

Thank you Marco for the concise explanation
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Thank you all for your post and a special thank you to Marco for such an informative one. I really appreciate it.

Looks like it's time to get busy with the research. I need to check into the expense also.

Thank you all again. I may be back with more questions.

Blessings
            Lynn
            Lynn, Proud Gold Star Mom of
            Cpl Christopher W. Belchik
            KIA IRAQ August 22, 2004

Comment

I stopped C after 1 year, switched to G, and haven't looked back. I was so hoping to try Tecfidera but had to get on something before it was approved so I chose G. Of course, everyone is different but I really do feel miles better on the G and I do not miss those shots one bit.

Good luck choosing and getting started!

Comment

Working...
              X