Fatigue and Adderall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue and Adderall

I've been having constant fatigue for the last month. I went to my neuro today and depending on the results of my MRI, I'm either getting infusion steroids (active lesions) or Adderall (no active lesions). I'm familiar with iv steroids and not worried about those, but I'm not sure how I feel about Adderall.

I can't handle being this exhausted all the time anymore. I've tried everything I can think of from being less active to more active and getting more sleep or less sleep. I just don't know about taking Adderall.

Can anyone who's taken this drug to treat their fatigue let me know their experience?

Hi, Just a small town girl. I starting taking Adderall about three to four weeks ago. I put off taking anti-fatigue meds last spring and summer, and then decided to try it once the school year started.

I am a super worry wort and because I felt that I was already taking so many meds (had gone from an occassional ibuprofen pre-diagnosis to what seems like many meds post diagnosis for various symptoms); when my doctor suggested Adderall for fatigue, I waited. Do I really need this I kept thinking? Maybe I’ll just take it for the field trip, or when I have to stay late after school. I teach second grade and am finishing up one class for my Master’s.

I am taking half of my recommended dose right now. I have found that it works extremely well for me and have been taking it daily. I feel a sense of alertness and ability to be present. I have been warned though, that this is an addictive drug and that feeling as though I have energy isn’t the same as actually having energy. So I try to be mindful of this fact, like when I feel like doing extra, I am still pulling from the same supply of energy that I always have. I might feel totally awake but am yawning at the same time.

Today after school I stopped by the grocery store. I came home and started cooking dinner and soon realized I needed to sit down for a bit. Despite being totally alert and “energized”, my neck muscles and chest began to bother me. My cue to take a break.

Also, I noticed that when I stopped taking it, say on the weekends, I felt sort of agitated/irritated.

Just my reflections. Hope they help. Take care.

Comment

I take Adderall, but mostly because my MS causes me to have some pretty moderate loss of concentration. Adderall really helps me with that, and I am on a low dose (7.5 mgs/day).

Nothing medication-wise seems to help with my fatigue. I have tried Symmetrel (amantadine) and Provigil for fatigue as well, and those didn't help. For me, short naps (when I can) and keeping my body temperature down work best for fatigue.
      Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
      Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
      Gilenya since 11/2014.
      Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
      EDSS 3.

Comment

I take either 5 mg a day of regular Adderall, or 10 mb of sustained release depending on my day. It gives me the extra pep I need to fight the fatigue. Without it I don't know if I could keep working or even function halfway normal.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

I don't take Adderall but it is on my radar.

I currently take 4-aminopyridine which helps me with fatigue. It isn't perfect but it does help me. We are looking into tacking on Amantadine next month.

Comment

tried them all. . .

Adderall was prescribed to me at one point. I took it as directed and it helped to focus however, only on what I was doing. It got to the point that all I could do was focus on the task at hand so intently that I was not able to realize anything else going on around me. Pretty scary when trying to watch my 5 year old.

Over the past year I have tried many fatigue drugs and they all seem to have the same result. I nap daily now as too much really gets me tired. the naps help, but its hard to get thing s done when in "zombie" mode all day everyday. I do have some good moments but they don't come as often as they used too.

These drugs do help a lot of people! So hopefully you are one of them! Best of Luck.

Billy
            Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

I've been taking the generic adderall for about 2 years. I started taking one 10 mg pill in the morning and then another after lunch, I don't like the extended release version. Now I take 10 mg twice a day. It's a pain to get, but it has worked well for me.
              Lori
              Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I've been taking Adderall for ADD for about a year, since before I was diagnosed. I take 30mgs now and it makes a world of difference for me, and I barely notice it - no side effects, etc.
                I wasn't taking it when I was diagnosed on Aug 30 - didn't take it for a couple weeks since I was too freaked out about everything. But when I started back to work part-time, I really noticed how tired and run down I felt. So I decided to take an adderall. Made a huge difference. I don't take the extended release - the instant release ones last about 4-6 hours and usually that's good enough for me.

I'd give it a try if I were you. Start at a low dose. I started at 10mgs and titrated up to 30 over the past year.

Good luck - hugs.
                No sir, I don't like it.
                Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

Adderal

I've been taking Adderal for about 3 months or so. I have tried other medicines for the fatigue (it also helps with focus and concentration). Provigil is expensive and gave me bad headaches, Amantadine worked for awhile but then I realized it was the reason I had constipation. For me right now, Adderal seems to work the best. I take a 10 milligram tablet in the morning when I first get up and another 1/2 of a tablet around noon. The generic is inexpensive and yes it can be a pain to get, but my neuro has made it very easy to get my new prescription each month. I don't know if others have noticed this or not, but I feel like if I am not totally wiped out with fatigue I am better able to handle the pain and other symptoms of MS. Hope you're feeling peppy soon!!

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better about starting on this drug now, if the lesions aren't active and I don't get a round of cortico-steroids.

Comment

Working...
                    X