Tysabri or Tecfidera ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri or Tecfidera ?

My neurologist initially prescribed Tysabri and at the last moment switched to prescribing Tecfidera. Let me ask which in your opinion of the two is most effective? What has your experiences of Tysabri or Tecfidera?

Any advice you can give would be great.

Baden

Tysabri has an 80% effectiveness rate at decreasing your new lesions, and activity of old lesions and by that decreasing your relapse rate.

Tecfidera has a 50% effectiveness rate at decreasing your new lesions, and activity of old lesions and by that decreasing your relapse rate.

I take Tysabri. I have been on it for 14 months. I am JCV-. So at this point I have none of the risk factors for PML. I have had no new lesions and some of mine have gone and converted to black holes. I feel fortunate to be on Ty. You also have to accept the risks of Ty. I have never taken Tec. I had only taken the CRABS and they have a 30% effectiveness at decreasing the things we talked about, so at least your doc is thinking about the more effective drugs.

I think its just a personal preference at this point, and your tolerance for risk.

Good luck with your choice!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

techfidera

I have been on tecfidera sence this started and I havn't had a single problem but you have to figure it out I'm diabetic so the others wouldn't work for me because the blood sugar would spike. hope this helps

Comment

I choose Tecfidera over Tysabri and would do so again. My decision was based on a long-term approach and strategy to fight this chronic disease.

Tysabri is MORE effective than Tecfidera, but I am "saving" it for a time I hope never comes. That "time" would be when my MS would get out of control or Tecfidera is no longer effective. If things got bad, I'd even consider doing a 6 or 12 month stint on Tysabri to "right the ship" and return to Tecfidera. A similar strategy would be adding pulse steroids to Tecfidera in a time of need.

Being JCV+, I would not personally remain on Tysabri for over 24 months. I understand others feel differently, but this is my body, my life and my choice. I also understand I could contract PML on either medication.

My Tecfidera experience has been overwhelmingly positive. Certainly better than any of the injectible therapies I was previously on.

There's not a perfect answer for everyone, but I hope you find the "best" decision for you. I am at peace with my medication decisions and will reevaluate as the parameters change. My hope is that Tecfidera reigns in my MS progression long enough for new medications to come to market. With the pending release of Lemtrada a change may come sooner rather than later.

Comment

JC + OR -

If you are JC neg. Tysabri is not only more effective but way more convenient.

If you are JC pos., you would be better off with TEC.

I'm JC pos. and on Ty for 6+ years. I have switched to a once every 6 week infusion, instead of every 4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X