Suggestions on Medicine for Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on Medicine for Fatigue

I have extreme fatigue, and with nursing school and a 16 month old I really need as much energy as possible. I was first prescribed 40mg of Ritalin a day which worked for a little while but wore off quickly and gave me headaches. I am now taking Focalin, which is similar to Ritalin but does not cause the headaches but it too does not seem to be very effective for very long, I take one in the morning and one at noon and by 3:00, it has worn off. I don't want to take more than prescribed but I would have to in order to have enough energy until bedtime. I can't take Provigil/Nuvigil because it decreases the effectiveness of birth control. Does anyone have any suggestions for something else? I was thinking about asking my doctor about adderol. I would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks!
    Dx RR August 2013
    DMD Betaseron
    Nursing Student (RN)
    Mother to 1 year old

I have seen others mention Amantadine.

I myself take 4-AP (4-aminopyridine) 10 mg, twice daily. I still suffer from fatigue, but it helps a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Amino...iple_sclerosis

Comment

you could also ask your doctor about amantadine. I took this quite a few years ago, but I do not remember any of the specifics.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I've taken Amantadine. It works pretty good. Give it a try since you have tried all of the others, it might just work for you.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I would suggest trying this before a pharmaceutical...

300mg Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) with 500mg Acetyl L Carnitine (ALCAR) before breakfast and lunch.

The combination of the two supplements was shown more effective than Amantadine on MS-related fatigue in clinical trial. Further, ALA is currently in clinical trial as a treatment for SPMS. Google: multiple sclerosis alpha lipoic acid

You may also want to add 600mg Malic Acid before each meal as well. Malic Acid has demonstrated efficacy in reducing fatigue and is an excellent supplement for skin and oral health. I personally think it has a similar, though far less toxic, therapeutic action as Fumaric Acid. Tecfidera, or "fumaric acid esters" is of course, an MS drug.

Lastly, Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) usually helps with MS-related fatigue because it increases endorphin production 2-300% the day after you take it. Endorphins increase your energy levels. However, you'll need a prescription for LDN.

I take them all and am never tired.

Comment

Are you taking any

DMD? Do these supplements interfere with any of the DMDs?

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
              I take them all and am never tired.
              Did you suffer from fatigue before you started the supplements?

Comment

Terribly, used to dose-off a couple times a day.

Fatigue was a huge problem when on Avonex and Rebif as well as Tysabri.

I don't take any DMDs anymore, just LDN, Baclofen and supplements.

I don't see how they would interfere with a DMD but you're on your own there. Personally, the DMDs didn't work for me that well anyway. If I could go back 20 years I would never take them.

Comment

Working...
                X