Ritalin Dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritalin Dosage

Neuro prescribed 5mg twice a day - it really did nothing. I tried taking 10mg and it doesn't really help either.
    Neuro has now upped it to 10 mg twice a day - not very effective.
    Anyone know what dosage is generally prescribed for overwhelming fatigue?

Ritalin was the first med I was prescribed and I was started on 20mg 2x daily. I think 60mg is the max. I have severe fatigue and the 40mg helped but it always wore off fast and gave me headaches. Now I'm taking Focalin, which is similar to Ritalin, containing higher concentrations of the active ingredient, so it's supposed to be more potent and not have the side effects that Ritalin does. So I am taking the max dose of it which is 20mg daily, but I still think I need something more. But I would definitely talk to your doctor about upping your dose if what your taking is not helping, I wouldn't think it would be an issue since I was started on the maximum dose.
    Dx RR August 2013
    DMD Betaseron
    Nursing Student (RN)
    Mother to 1 year old

Comment

Hi, I'm sorry your fatigue is so bad. My Ritalin starting dose was 20mg twice a day as well. But it made me very cranky and scattered my brain. I reduced it to 1.5, 1 morning, 1/2 in the afternoon. But I find it still can get me scattered a bit, despite its prescribed to do the opposite for those with ADHD, and sometimes I feel as if it makes me more fatigued, likely from the comedown.

It sounds like your dose is very low to start, but also, you just may be one those people that it is not that effective on. But I too, would check back with your Doc about the dosage and discuss possibly another increase to try.

Comment

Just Curious

Any thoughts why a doctor would prescribed such a low dose?

Comment

Hi its2much,

Ritalin is a Schedule III controlled substance. Ritalin is a stimulant and a legal form of speed.

Although stimulants are used to try and treat MS fatigue they don't necessarily work for everyone. If you are not getting any benefit from the increase in dosage it is highly unlikely you will see any benefit at an even higher dose.

I cannot take stimulants, they cause my fatigue to increase.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks

but from what I understand the initial dose, 5 mg, prescribed and now the 10mg are pretty low so it's unlikely it will help. My fatigue is overwhelming most days. The remaining days I just very tired.

Comment

Working...
            X