Dexamathasone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dexamathasone

Been in a very bad relapse. Started IVSM 2 wks ago for constant head pain and off balance issues. On second day of treatment was in auto accident. Not hurt bad, just some whiplash and shoulder pain. Finished the 3 day treatment and got worse. Continued with Prednisone taper for a week, and Dr. Started be on Dexamathasone. She said maybe another steroid would work.

Well... it's not. Not feeling any better. Don't know what to do. Head is still feeling really weird, can't really explain it. Walking is bad. I tend to want to walk to the side.

Oh, also had MRI done to make sure nothing new was going on. No new or active lesions. Well that is what report said. That's funny, I received my scans and I compared them to last years and I noticed more. I have extensive lesions on brain, but I could see more in different areas.

I'm wondering in Dr.is even looking at scans or just report. Maybe radiologist doesn't look well enough since I have so many.

Anyway not mean to ramble. Just don't know what to do. Should I continue the Dexamathasone and hope it starts to help? Been on it for 5 days now. 4mg 4x a day, or should I let Dr. know its not working.

Just a FYI, currently on Tec for 17 weeks now.

Really.....no advice from anyone out there....geez OK.

Comment

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

When steroids don't help it's possible that the symptoms aren't being caused by an inflammatory flare. Dexamethasone is "just" another steroid that's a little stronger than prednisone but it's not much different than prednisone. And 16 mg a day is just "a drop in the bucket". If a full IVSM series didn't help I don't understand how a little more dexamethasone is supposed to.

It sounds like your doctor is trying to be helpful and is giving your symptoms the benefit of the doubt by treating them as if they're a flare. Even if you have more lesions on your MRI, if they aren't active and inflamed steroids aren't going to help. And sometimes even with a true inflammatory flare steroids don't help.

Some people have reported bad headaches from Tecfidera. Have you discussed with your doctor that your symptoms might be an unusual side effect of the Tecfidera and not a flare? That could be a reason why steroids aren't helping.

Comment

I think you should keep taking the taper. Since you had the 5 days of IVSM, take the rest and see if that helps. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to feel the difference. It doesn't always take effect right away.

I hope you feel better real soon.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Sorry for sounding so annoyed. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Tks.

Comment

Working...
          X