Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get re-established -- any hints on getting meds

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with MS since 2007. I'm currently taking Gilenya as a DMD and Provigil for fatigue. Here's my problem: I just moved to Chicago with my MSW and am looking for a job. I'm working on getting insurance through the state (which you can qualify for if you have MS, since you can't get private insurance) - it won't be free, but it will at least exist. However, I need an Illinois driver's license to prove residency, and I need a social security card to get a license, and mine was stolen around 10 years ago. I've requested a replacement, and should receive it in 7-10 days, at which point I can get the license, and then provide that and my letter from my old doc confirming my diagnosis, and then I should be approved for insurance. Then I can see a doc.

I've got a little less than two weeks less of meds, so I'm pretty sure this math isn't going to work out. Does anyone have any hints on getting hold-over meds? I'm coming from Massachusetts, where I had the state insurance (unemployed while in school), so there's no COBRA or anything. And, of course, I'm unemployed (looking desperately for a job). Any hints would help. Thanks!

I don't know if your old neuro would be willing to do this, but maybe you could call him/her and request a sample supply to hold you over another two weeks. Wouldn't hurt to try, just explain your situation. Hopefully, he/she will and has some samples on hand to send you.

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Amy,

call your old doctor, your new one if you've got one and call the MS society. You probably don't need to go without meds at all. Biogen (avonex) will cover you when you're between insurances, so I'm sure Novartis (the maker of Gilenya) has a similar program.

Call them and ask first. Tell them your situation and ask for help. Consider they don't want to lose you as a customer and that the pills cost them $5 to make. So it's no problem to send them to you so that you continue to fund them in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X