Steroid Pulse Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroid Pulse Therapy

I was reading through a thread that I had responded to and another poster briefly mentioned Steroid Pulse Therapy.

I have taken 3 DMDs only to have allergic reactions to 2 of them and 1 severe reaction to another. I actually have not had any new lesions for 8 years, but a few of them are growing...additionally, I am progressing. I would have thought I was SPMS, but I recently had a major flare.

I do great on IV Steroids...it is something my body can handle. Can someone explain exactly what it is and the pros and cons. I have an appointment this coming Wednesday and would like to discuss this with my Neuro.

Any input is appreciated.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

I did pulse steroids (1 time a month) for about a year several years ago.

It's an attempt to hold symptoms down, but it's not meant to replace a DMD, so I'm not sure you're looking at it the right way.

Steroids use for a long time can have serious side effects. I'm convinced my year of pulse steroids contributed to my early cataracts.
    Sue
    Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
    Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

I am done with DMDs...is not an option for me anymore. I am looking for something to hold symptoms at bay for awhile...I have had a very rough go of it this year. They put me on a new DMD after a major flare. I had an allergic reaction and now it is possible that I am in another major flare. We just are not sure, it could be interferon still in my system...it is going to be evaluated Wednesday.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X