Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new DMD

Hi All.

I was at my first appointment with the MS nurse today. I started seeing a new neurologist in April because I moved and am unable to see my previous neuro, whom I have had for the past 3 years...

So at the appointment today, the nurse looked at my body and was in shock as to what Copaxone has done to me over the past 33 months. I have the dreaded stomach atrophy, but I also have bruises and lumps on my legs from weeks ago as well as lumps on my arms from weeks ago. She said that if I continue with daily injections then I will most likely develop more problems later on, since all of this has happened after just short of 3 years of usage.

Because of the medication rules here in Europe, the only other medications available to me at this time--aside from Copaxone--are Betaseron, Rebif, and Avonex.

The nurse crossed Betaseron off the list right away, saying it was not a good option for me because of the mixing and whatnot. I agreed!!!

She sent me home with information about Avonex and Rebif. I also had a short demonstration of how the two injectors work, but had a heck of a time trying to push the button for Avonex, which led me to believe that perhaps it may not be the best option for me if I can't even push the darn button!! And Rebif makes me a little bit nervous because its electronic and what if it malfunctions one day and I end up receiving 3 doses worth in one go?? Or how will it be somehow better for me and not be as harsh on my body if its also a subcutaneous injection, just like Copaxone?? At this point, I'd say the Avonex may be my best option because its inter-muscular... But won't that possibly bring on more pain? And if I can only use it in my thighs--which are already bruised from the Copaxone--will that not make them swell or something else?

And children... I haven't had any kids yet, but I'd like to in the future, which is why I chose Copaxone in the first place! I just turned 27 and honestly, I thought I had everything under control with this disease. I'm sure I was just lying to myself though because I knew there was atrophy going on when I saw my old neurologist last year, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to have to change medications. Now, 10 months later, I just continued to make things worse.

The nurse thinks the inter-muscular Avonex option may be best for me because it will supposedly do the least destruction to my external body... But what about all of the reactions that come with interferons? That's why I chose Copaxone!!! And it's just ruining my body!!! I still have a couple of weeks left of Copaxone and have been advised to take it every other day until I see my neurologist in a couple of weeks and make a decision as to what other medicine I should take in its place.

Have any of you used Copaxone as your first choice and then experienced similar problems and needed to switch medications? What did you choose? How is it working out for you?

I feel like, aside from the external problems and the occasional minor flare-ups, I've been doing alright with Copaxone. What can I expect to improve, if anything, with the new medication options?

I feel like, sometimes, it's just a never ending path with hurdles every meter along the way.

Any advice is truly appreciated!
    Diagnosed 4/10; Copaxone 10/10 - 8/13
    You win some and you lose some, but that is how you learn. -ALB

hi, I took rebif for years and had two children (was off it during pregnancies and breast feeding). It is subcutaneous and only three days a week but I do have lumps still in my stomach from them ( I switched to Tec in May). I would post a question in the avonex forum about how they deal with the injections in their muscle. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

I started on Avonex when I was 1st diagnosed back in November. I use the autoinjector do have some issues with the button but gets easier as you become more used to it. There is an non auto injector so maybe that is something you should look at. I inject once a week tonite actually I have no injection site issues once in all those weeks I got a lump but it subsided with 48 hours. Do get some bruising occasionally but no troubles. As far as pain on injection goes it is just a pinch I don't ice pack or anything. Good luck to you.

Comment

I took Avonex for five years using the pre-filled syringes (not the auto-injector). I always injected into my thighs, and just alternated thighs.

I never had trouble with the injections and probably only bruised a dozen times. Often after pulling the needle out, I couldn't even tell where the injection had been (I had a great nurse teach me!).

I did have the flu-like symptoms which never abated in all that time, and caused me eventually to switch drugs. I now take Tysabri.

Most people I know go off the DMDs when they try to get pregnant. I don't think it matters which one you are taking (as to changing your conception/pregnancy situation).

Comment

I have been on C, R, and A. I could not take any of them for an extended period of time. I am rare in this.

Of course, I found Copaxone to be the easiest.

Rebif and Avonex are the same drug. Avonex is the weaker of the two and once a week. If I was to choose between the two it would be Avonex. Get yourself some EMLA cream and use the syringe manually by itself. You will not feel a thing.

Any of the interferons cause some unpleasant side effects...you need to read up on these.
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've been on Avonex, Rebif and Copaxone. I much preferred Avonex. Only one a week and no injection site reactions. And while you have the flu-like side effects they're only once per week. A lot of people - including me - found that there were fewer side effects with the version you mix yourself, But if you don't want to do any mixing the prefilled version is just fine. There's an autoinjector for Avonex. There wasn't one available when I was on Avonex, but I always preferred manual injecting of all of the medicines anyway.

Avonex and Rebif are the same medicine. The dose is lower for Avonex because it goes into a muscle and is released into the body slowly over the week. The dose is higher for Rebif because it goes under the skin like Copaxone so it gets into the body and is used up faster. That's why Rebif needs more than one shot per week. If you are going to get side effects, that means side effects more than once a week on Rebif too.

Since you already have beat up skin from the Copaxone injections Avonex makes a lot of sense.

Avonex

Comment

Lanczen, I too am frustrated by the deterioration in my skin from Copaxone. For me it is particularly my thighs and arms. I have been on C for four years and I just started injecting 5 days per week rotating/alternating thighs and arms. I regularly consider stopping DMDs altogether as I wonder if they are as effective as the medical community leads us to believe. I also tire of the "fight" that I seem to be on. My neuro would like me to go on Rebif and isn't a fan of Ty, Tec or G, but I am trying the 5 days a week for now.

It is unfortunate that there is no simple answer.

I do think it will be interesting if the government changes the rules that all trial results have to be published...then we could possibly see if these drugs are really worth the money, damage, etc they tout that they are worth.

When I was first diagnosed I was going to fight MS with all I could get my hands on. I am tired of the fight. I just want to live and get on with my life. Many people I don't think understand that......sigh!

Comment

Thanks for the insight everyone, I do appreciate it!

@MyGirlsMom: I agree! I have also recently started to fancy the thought of completely going off DMDs, even though I've been in strong opposition before. It's just frustrating!!!

I appreciate the information from you all about your experiences with the DMDs. What I'm leaning towards now is, suggesting to my neurologist that I stay on Copaxone, but inject every other day (as I'm doing now while waiting until my next appointment), with strict rotation, and then do massage therapy for my lingering lumps (which was recently suggested by my MS nurse).

For my personal psyche, it sounds best. I just hope it goes over well with the doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by LancZen View Post

I appreciate the information from you all about your experiences with the DMDs. What I'm leaning towards now is, suggesting to my neurologist that I stay on Copaxone, but inject every other day (as I'm doing now while waiting until my next appointment), with strict rotation, and then do massage therapy for my lingering lumps (which was recently suggested by my MS nurse).

For my personal psyche, it sounds best. I just hope it goes over well with the doctor.
                  There's a new dose of Copaxone in the works, 40mg, 3x a week instead of 20 mg daily. No idea when it may be available to you, but if you're considering staying with Copaxone, it's something to look forward to.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0DJ2W920130502

Comment

Thanks MrsBones!!!

That's great news! I had no idea!! I will definitely be using this information, when I see my neurologist next week, in support of my desire to stay on Copaxone, but with the every-other-day regiment until further notice.

Also, I've been seriously considering the Swank/McDougall Diet (probably more Swank than McDougall but the latter was influenced by the former) as an added cushion to better my health.

I know that there is Tara's Nutrition and whatnot for dietary discussions, but since you've all been so helpful with my new DMD issues, I figured I'd share it with you!

Comment

Originally posted by LancZen View Post
                      Thanks MrsBones!!!

That's great news! I had no idea!! I will definitely be using this information, when I see my neurologist next week, in support of my desire to stay on Copaxone, but with the every-other-day regiment until further notice.

Also, I've been seriously considering the Swank/McDougall Diet (probably more Swank than McDougall but the latter was influenced by the former) as an added cushion to better my health.

I know that there is Tara's Nutrition and whatnot for dietary discussions, but since you've all been so helpful with my new DMD issues, I figured I'd share it with you!
                      You're welcome! I think with the recent fuss over upcoming patent expiration, plus all the oral meds, they've become inspired to make their drug more user friendly. I imagine there will be massive marketing campaigns when the new dose is approved.

Their drug has stood the test of time and though it doesn't have the convenience or efficacy stats the orals and Ty have, it's been one of the safest with possibly the fewest side effects. I've tried Ty, Rebif and Aubagio, but keep coming back to Copaxone.

Wish you luck with both your DMD and dietary changes. Eating a healthier diet can't hurt!

Comment

Working...
                      X