Steroid use, Solu-Medrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroid use, Solu-Medrol

After a year, I have undergone intense steroid therapy for a relapse. I'm open to suggestions on how to handle all the side effects because I felt better before treatment. Symptoms include bloating, nausea, fatigue, sweats, and generally feeling like a whale. I am drinking a lot of fluids but always thirsty. Ideas?

A lot of people say they felt better before being on IVSM. Steroids make some people so sick that they swear they'll never take them again.

Sorry to say that for some of the side effects there isn't much you can do about them. If there was I'd know about it by now. A couple of them you can.

The first thing that jumps out is that you are drinking water but your are always thirsty. Steroids are know to raise blood sugar and excessive thirst is a major symptom of high blood sugar and diabetes. If the thirst doesn't get better in another day or two it could be worthwhile having your blood sugar checked to see if something might need to be done to bring it down.

Bloating is a major side effect and there really isn't anything you can do about it. The best you can do is to limit how much sodium you eat because sodium makes the body retain water. You'll just have to wait a week or so until your body dumps the extra fluid. Some people actually recommend drinking extra water but I never do that because I'm already so bloated and my kidneys can't handle the extra fluid.

Sweating is pretty much the same. Stay as cool as you can and let it pass. If you are dizzy that will just have to pass too.

If you have an anti-fatigue medicine it might help. But your body has had quite a whack of steroids that's altering some of your chemical balances and you are carrying a lot of extra fluid around so even an anti-fatigue medicine might not help enough.

You can ask your doctor for an anti-nausea medicine. I've never needed one so I don't know how well it might work for you.

If you are going to contact your doctor about the excessive thirst and get your blood sugar checked you can ask about a medicine for nausea if you need one so hopefully you can get everything taken care of in one trip.

The good news is that the worst of the side effects will be gone within a week or two. So hang in there.

Comment

Never thought about the blood sugar. My mom was diabetic. I haven't been checked in awhile, so I will do so. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
      X