Court overturns patents on Teva's MS drug Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court overturns patents on Teva's MS drug Copaxone

Two drug companies said Friday that they hope to start selling a generic version of the multiple sclerosis treatment Copaxone in May after a federal appeals court overturned several patents supporting the drug.

Mylan Inc. and Momenta Pharmaceuticals Inc. could start selling their versions of the drug on May 25, after the remaining patents on the drug expire. Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., which makes Copaxone, said the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit overturned a total of five patents on the drug and said it was disappointing with the decision. Teva plans to appeal the ruling.

Just do a search on this for the complete story. Gee, I wonder how many research dollars are spent on lawyers' fees and court costs.

I don't fault a company for protecting their intellectual property or any other legitimate use of the courts to protect themselves and their bottom line. I do have a problem with any corporate citizen that uses or abuses their 'right' to the court system, which is funded through tax dollars, while enriching themselves on the backs of those that suffer.
    But what choice does Teva have? They are responsible to their shareholders. This situation draws attention away from the 'big picture'. That's where my frustration begins. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
      Gee, I wonder how many research dollars are spent on lawyers' fees and court costs.
      Hard to know, but I'm guessing it's not as many as you might think. Anybody who has ever run a business knows that there's something called the "cost of doing business". Business budgets contain funding for all kinds of things. Legal costs are a business necessity and there is separate money set aside for them. Research money is research money and legal fees are legal fees and never the twain shall meet.

Comment

Working...
      X