Vitamin B & D deficient question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin B & D deficient question

Recently I was told that my B's & D's were extremly low and need to take supplements to bring them up.

I eat plenty of meats,seafood & get plenty of sunshine.
    And I am going to an MS center next month. I have so many of the symptoms of MS looking to rule it out.

So now I have a few questions.

1) What causes B levels to be so low?
    2) What causes D levels to be so low?
    3) Can taking supplements mask the reasons why they are so low?
    4) How long (wks,mths,yrs) do levels so low start to cause serious problems?
    5) Will there be permanent issues/damage caused by such low levels if they have been untreated for many years?

Wow Cuz, you are asking a lot of questions. I am not a doctor but I have been barking about vitamin deficiencies on this board fo a long time. It is highly unlikely that eating fortified foods and milk will raise your vitamin D levels. And I doubt that getting sunshine, alone, will raise your levels, either.
    I can't answer your questions, directly. I can tell you that many people, here, have been vitamin deficient, after a complete blood work-up. They have corrected those deficiencies by using supplements. Supplements aim to solve deficiencies. If you are low in vitamin D and B-12, and probably magnesium, you need to add supplements to your regimen. Good lucke

Comment

Thank you JerryD for your response.
      First) I mean no disrespect in any way,shape or form Iam here to learn and possibly help others.

Second)I truly hope you do NOT take offence to my line of questioning, you seem to be very knowledgable from the posts that I have read.

Maybe a short back history will help you understand my questions?
      Ten years ago I could walk miles,ride in a car for hours or sit at a computer and do things that I liked doing without any issues what so ever.
      Now ten years later I cant do any of those things for more than an hour without serious pain and cosequences causing me to have to lay down and be inactive for 2-4 days to get any relief from the pain and fatigue associated with my activities.

Many Dr's today seem to just treat the symptoms and not look for the cause and that may be enough for some but not for me being almost 50 years old and knowing that someone cannot fix something if someone dont know whats broken.

It drives my Dr's crazy when I ask why and they dont have an answer and just treat the symptoms.

Again please dont be offended and take this as disrespect Iam here to learn and possibly help others by asking the hard questions.

Comment

No offense is taken. You are totally right to look for answers among this group. I am not a doctor. I just give out my opinion which I gathered from experience and reading/study. The neurological problems you write about could have a lot of starting points. That's why your doctors are flailing around trying to find answers for you. I suggest you try to find some answers at the nearest the nearest 'teaching' hospital.

I couldn't get answers that satisfied me for some of my symptoms and I found a 'naturopath' doctor to help give me some relief. He is 'out of the box' but he is an MD. But he does not accept insurance. My 'naturopath' suggested that I lose a bit of weight, eat mostly vegetables and fruits, stop eating dairy, stop eating wheat and get into some kind of exercise program. And he prescribed LDN. Those things seem to help me keep it together. Maybe you need to try think along these lines. Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X