Amitriptyline and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amitriptyline and depression

Anyone had any problems with depression taking this medication? My wife who has MS had her dose raised about 2 months ago. She has changed since doing so and is unhappy all the time now, cries at work, and says it like she just woke up one day and has no more feelings for me. We have been together for 6 years and she was diagnosed last year. We are on the verge of divorce and i want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if I should talk to her to try to get her to switch medications. Lost for answers and looking for help.

I've never tolerated the 'triptyline' class of meds. I was rx'ed this class of meds and Amitriptyline specifically, for a variety of sx's unrelated to depression. But I did become depressed after starting the dose, with vacant emotional state, aka flat affect, and a general feeling of being disconnected from things going on around me. Not sure if the correct clinical term is Disassociative?

If your wife was treated successfully at the lower dose, maybe the increase was more than she can tolerate. It might be worth discussing with her doc, maybe a slower/lower increase in her dosage.

Comment

Please don't get a divorce because of two months of a medication side effect!

The emotionless "flat affect" the other poster mentioned is one of the possible reactions to antidepressants. And sometimes people become more depressed and suicidal after staring an antidepressant or having the dose changed. You should tell her prescribing doctor about this immediately!

There are many different kinds of antidepressant medicines available and it's fairly common that a person has to try two or three or more of them to find the one that helps without too many unwanted side effects.

It's pretty clear that your wife had a significant personality change after her dose was changed. You shouldn't be talking to your wife about switching medicines as much as you should be talking to her doctor about it. And the sooner the better! Your wife might not be in the right frame of mind to do that herself so it may fall on you to make the doctor's appointment for her and go with her to the appointment. Her doctor needs to know what an observer (that's you) has noticed about the change in her behavior.

And please don't be even considering a divorce because of this. This sounds like a temporary setback that can be fixed with quick medical attention.

Comment

She was put on the medication to help her to sleep. The lower dose wasnt working to well so it was raised. Divorce is not what i want. She just says shes changed and feels like she woke up one morning and didnt feel for me like she used to. The only thing that makes her happy is our son. Ive talked to her doctor today and he said the cut the dose in half and try that. He also said it could be the Avonex or just her having i hard time dealing with MS to start with. I just dont know if i can talk her into cutting the dose or trying other things. Shes basically decided our marraige is over and wants out in a matter of 3 weeks. Just hoping i can talk her into trying the lower the dose or changing medication altogether.

Comment

You didn't mention how long she has been on Avonex or if she has tried any other DMDs. The interferons are known to cause depression. My mood was much better when I switched to Copaxone from Avonex - after trying several different anti-depressants, I didn't need them anymore. Plus, some counseling helped also. There are also many other sleep aids out there. Good luck.
          Symptoms 8/09. Dx 1/10. Avonex 2/10 - 1/11. Copaxone 2/11 to 5/13. Tecfidera 5/13 to 2/15. Gilenya 12/15 to current.

Comment

I think one of the difficulties here is that any instructions about your wife's medicines should be coming directly out her doctor's mouth directly to your wife's ears. You shouldn't be put in the position of playing middle man. I don't think it's your job to be "talking her" into anything regarding her medical care.

Since your wife's personality has been so badly changed because of her medications, I think it's VERY important that your wife has a face to face appointment with her doctor. It's her doctor's job to change her medications and not to use you as a messenger service.

At this point your wife might even need the care of a psychiatrist. If her only interest is your son, HE could be at risk of her doing something irrational while she's depressed. Her demand that you end your marriage within weeks isn't rational. I really think you should get your wife in to see her neurologist NOW.

It doesn't sound like her doctor understands how serious the problem is. Her neuro's job is neurology. He isn't the best qualified to be dealing with psychological problems. And it sounds like your wife clearly has psychological problems.

This sounds like waaay to much trouble for a simple medicine to help her sleep. There are MANY other medicines that can do that without causing such a drastic change in personality.

Yes the depression could be made worse by Avonex. I'm surprised that her neuro didn't take the depression more seriously and suggest a change in medications because of it. It really sounds like your wife needs medical help NOW and having you try to "convince" your wife to do something that her doctor should be doing doesn't cut it!

It sounds like your in way over your head. Please take your wife to the doctor ASAP! It sounds like your wife is irrational and your son could be at risk.

Comment

She's been taking the Avonex since April of 2012. Started with a regular injection and has now moved to the pen. Avonex is the only one she has been on. She doesn't think there is a problem with depression or medication side effects. She was angry with me for even calling her doctor to get more information on what could possibly be going on. She will not change her medicine or even consider seeing her doctor since she sees no problems. I'm out of ideas and options. I can't force her to do anything. Just staying strong for my son and hoping she makes the right decision for him and us.

Comment

Irrational people never think they have a problem. I think you really should talk to her doctor again and let him know just how bad the situation is. Your wife might not want to change medicines but she won't have any choice if her doctor changes them for her. You aren't equipped to handle this by yourself so please get your wife's doctor involved.

Comment

I'm glad you're here reaching out. I think if one day you might end up being your wife's caretaker, you have every right to know what's going on with her & should educate yourself. Our personal experiences might prove to be valuable to you (or not )

I was put on amitriptyline before I was diagnosed. It helped for sleep, buzzing and pain. I also experienced depression (copaxone user) I'm not sure if it was a result of the amitriptyline, the copaxone or MS progression but I'm now being treated with additional antidepressants.

Comment

Working...
                  X